Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Protein Powders…
  • MTT
    Free Member

The mind boggles.

Having looked at a generic health food website it appears you cant just pick up a reasonably priced protein powder without first knowing if you want; acid whey, brown rice,Calcium Caseinate, Egg White, Hydrolysed Whey, Impact Milk Isolate etc… the list goes on.

I want a reasonably priced whey protein that will help me sustain my training levels and develop lean strength and endurance. Help.

geoffj

Why do you think you need extra protein?

soobalias
    Free Member

holland and barrett "body fortress", better than half price but tastes poor and may screw with your guts.

TooTall
    Free Member

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk – whey protein 82% – cheap as chips, unflavoured and far higher protein content than most any high street tat.

zaskar
    Free Member

Only if your diet has not got the proteins you need.

I find SIS and Promax stuff good.

Whey isolate fine, but whey concentrate is full of lactose which makes me fart, bloat and poop like hell.

MTT
    Free Member

Why do you think you need extra protein?

Because I read the internet.

MTT
    Free Member

I find SIS and Promax stuff good.

I've heard that Promax has an undesired effect on your wind levels and concentration? Your experiences?

EDIT: Ahh you've updated and answered my question. Thanks.

zaskar
    Free Member

Look at your goal and needs and training/recovery requirements.

When riding hard I usually use 1.2 x body weight in kg = in grams 102g for me.

When I did bodybuilding I using 150g of protein and creatine etc.

Funnily enough attended a lecture yesterday about sport stimulants and growth factors. Amazing what pro atheletes/sports scientists are applying.

Promax is whey isolate-easily absorbed/digested.

Everybody's body is different. I'm slightly lactose intolerant and stay away from wheat.

For cycling I find just buying chicken/fish and the odd recovery shake made by sis adequate for cycling.

Find out what you are consuming to nearest gram before adding loads.

Also I take a protein shake before bedtime as Growth hormone is higher at night and help recovery.

If you're not training hard then you can just eat healthy and sorted.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Scrub the skin off your head, collect for a month, drink, that's protein, and it's a powder. Get it down thee!

thomthumb
    Free Member

we use LA muscle (whey) in my house.

find protein good for recovery and muscle building.

used to use maximuscle – similar prices but LA flavours are 'slightly better' and more choice of flavours. Don't expect them to taste like a proper milkshake but not too bad.

choclate, strawberry good.
    mint choc – metallic tasting.
    vanilla – horrible. although my brother loves it.

HTH.

they are all much of a muchness imo.

MTT
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback so far, I've been trying to avoid getting too scientific;

– I am training for some multi-discipline endurance events
    – I train 6 days a week
    – Due to recovering from IT band problems 5 days are in the gym
    – Approximately 90mins per day are threshold cardio (mainly running) just easing my way back
    – Three/four weights sessions per week predominantly focusing on compound high repetition exercises
    – Core work everyday

I estimate i get between 60-80g of protein from my regular diet per day, i weigh about 70kg. Thanks again.

geoffj

– Approximately 90mins per day are threshold cardio (mainly running) just easing my way back

😯

finbar
    Free Member

I did a fair bit of research on this, and decided this was the best deal in terms of quality vs. price:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/protein-supplements/true-whey-(5lb)/

Keva
    Free Member

I weigh 60kg and eat about 90g of protein a day.

pullfaces
    Free Member

I use pea protein. It doesn't make me f@rt, let alone do ones that stink to high heaven.
    I mix 25g in a blender with 1/2 pint (soya) milk, 43g of plain Torq, a banana, teaspoon of peanut butter, teaspoon of barley malt, six almonds and either a teaspoon of cocoa powder and/or a mango or a kiwi or some vanilla essence.
    There seems to be an unwritten rule about no more than 25g of concentrated protein at one go and to sip rather than glug.
    Why 25g protein then 43g carbo powder? Well those are my scoop sizes and the fitness guides from Matt in Singletrack suggests 2:1 ratio carb to protein.
    I only have it after a ride, swim, fitness session or whatever.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Protein Powders…’ is closed to new replies.