Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Protecting a right of way in Hampshire
  • bwakel
    Free Member

I’m putting this out there as there may be people here who can help and others who use the trail that’s under threat.

I and many locals have been using a trail from the A33 into Micheldever Wood and Dodsley Wood near Micheldever in Hampshire for more than 25 years. Recently the land, now called The Lawn, has been acquired and the beautiful piece of single track known as Micheldever Wood Wiggle on Strava was decimated by felling and logging of the beech trees. The owner has now put up signs declaring the land private and that there is no access.

A number of locals led by Olly Bramley have filled in evidence forms to show that they have been using the trail for many years. If you use this trail, could you contact Olly at orb@bramleys.org so you can add weight to our claim that this right of way has existed forever.

To any rights of way experts out there, can we use Strava as evidence of usage? If so, how do we best go about it? There are more than 200 recorded riders who’ve ridden the segment on Strava but Olly tells me that Hampshire County Council only accept completed evidence forms as evidence of use, which seems bizarre in this day and age. Is this likely to be true or are we doing things wrong?

Many thanks

drovercycles
    Free Member

Is it a right of way (public footpath, bridleway or byway), or is it a route across private land which has been widely used which you’d like to become a right of way?

I suspect the best way to go will differ depending on the above. From your description if sounds as though it’s not currently a right of way.

dovebiker

Is the track shown on an OS map? You local council will have maps with recorded rights of way – do they have a record?

smokey_jo

Use by cyclists will not help you here, you need evidence of uninterrupted use for 20 years by walkers for a footpath and horse riders for a bridleway and yes evidence forms will be needed – ROW law hasn’t caught up with the times yet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

drovercycles – Member
    Is it a right of way (public footpath, bridleway or byway), or is it a route across private land which has been widely used which you’d like to become a right of way?

I suspect the best way to go will differ depending on the above. From your description if sounds as though it’s not currently a right of way.

Indeed. If the former, then proof of use is good. If the latter, then proof of use is bad.

No PROWs showing on the OS through Micheldever or Dodsley. Forest roads only, so if it’s private woodland, you’ve got your work cut out, sadly.

bwakel
    Free Member

Thanks for the initial responses. It’s not a bridleway or footpath at the moment. The narrow strip of land is between two forestry commission plantations where there’s public access and it’s long been a way for locals to access the two woods.

neilthewheel

Smokey jo is out of date. It is possible to claim 20 yera usage by bicycle under the CROW Act. You would have a claim for Restricted Byway.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Protecting a right of way in Hampshire’ is closed to new replies.