• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by loum.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Protecting a dropper post
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

OK, i’ve dropped a rather large sum of money (£270) on a rare – i.e. not imported into the UK – Spesh Command Post Blacklite 75mm, and i want to look after it.

Would it be a good idea to put a length of old inner tube over the workings and zip-tie it in place?

sambob
    Free Member

That’s probably more likely to trap grit and dirt than protect it, It’ll probably be better off without anything. If you really must, maybe Jubilee clips done up tight and a MTB innertube, might keep it clean.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I do wonder why we accept such poor sealing on parts designed (allegedly) for use in extreme conditions off road…

Tracey

I asked this question to Specialized and was told not to

nuke

That’s probably more likely to trap grit and dirt than protect it, It’ll probably be better off without anything.

Not in my experience. Both my Joplins have shock boots off an old set of Manitou SX forks. Zip tied at the top and, at the bottom, just pushed down so the first ribbed bit sits over the top of the outer tube (This means they can be easily lifted for inspection). They have worked a treat…no dirt has got in and I’ve run them all winter regardless of conditions. Bear in mind Joplins are notorious for failing at the first sign of dirt.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Food for thought there then.

Bloody thing has already cost me more than the normal length ones (damn you short legs!) so i want to keep it sweet…

PolisherMan

errrr, I use a crud catcher….yes they do take the piss. 😉

Chris-S
    Free Member

I Stuck an inner tube on my Joplin 4 as soon as I got it!

Doesn’t interfere with the operation at all and still works just like Day 1

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not gonna bother – surely designed with mud etc in mind? if the seals good enough most of the crap shouldnt get in….

i dont put a protective boot over my forks and shock which get equally as much mud/muck/water/snow/ etc thrown up at them and they seem to survive ok…..

captaindanger

Stretch a wide-ish piece of innertube between the upper seatstays or seat clapm area and back of saddle rails, it won’t stop all the crap but it will certainly stop the worst of it getting to your post, and it won’t “trap” any mud.

I think it’s positioned in exactly the worst place on a bike for collecting mud.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tracey
    I asked this question to Specialized and was told not to

Possibly as such a modification would make them last longer ? Also it might cover up their branding.

skywalker
    Free Member

I think the most effective way would be not to use it…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would have no issue with using an innertube as a boot – just check under it now an then to make sure its not trapping mud

loum
    Free Member

+1
    another one with an inertube joplin boot
    Not had it fail yet (touch wood)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Protecting a dropper post’ is closed to new replies.