Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Prophet Creaking Pivots, what bearings etc
  • sprocker
    Free Member

My 08 prophet is creaking pretty badly so will treat it to some pivot bearings and shock mounts. Anybody know what size I need and where to get them from ?

sheldona
    Free Member

Are you sure its the pivots and not a cracked frame? Its just all the FS Cannondales I used to have that creaked ended up being cracked!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You are kaesee and I claim my £5

On the assumption the frame is fine (which it probably is, and if its not the warrenty was lifetime if your the original owner)…….

Side to side play in the swingarm = bearings

Up and down play = bushings

No swingarm = craked frame

sprocker
    Free Member

Happens mainly under heavy pedalling.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    Dusty Lilac – Member

addy6402

Got it all from BETD, the bearing size is 26 x 15 x 7mm, go for the 'RS Max' version as they are better quality (more balls, less spaces). Went for one of their strong bush kits too.

Another good place for Cannondale parts is Chelmer Cycles.
    Posted 11 months ago # Report-Post

The bearings in there are the originals from feb 2008 i think – they did get gritty so i cleaned and repacked with grease.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any pix of it btw for old times sake?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That could be anything from a dry thread or interface to a worn bearing/bushing or a cracked frame.

Bushing wear: hold the bike and pic it up/drop it, if it feels rattly its the shock bushes (prophets eat these for breakfast)

Bearign wear: take the rear wheel, mechs, chain etc and shock off, move the swingarm u and down, it should be smppth as a babies backside, if its nto, the bearings have gone. If they get really bad the whole swingarm will flop from side to side.

Anything else and its time to take it appart bit by bit, clean the threads, rebuild with gresh grease, untill you find the thread at fault, its often the pedal threads IME.

ruminant
    Free Member

I had a similar problem on my 05 prophet.

most probably your bushings, get the heavy duty kit from tf tuned. Although i also found out my swingarm was part of a recall, something with the plate inside flex under loading.

I'll see if i've got the pdf still, you just need to check the number stamped on the swingarm

U31
    Free Member

Heavy pedalling? sounds like seat rails/ post to me…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

The swingarm is a new one – replaced under warranty so nowt to do with that. Most likely the old bearings

sprocker
    Free Member

I will start with the bearings seem most likely if they are the originals, rob will sent some pics for you to reminisce.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Prophet Creaking Pivots, what bearings etc’ is closed to new replies.