Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Property/holidays in Hungary. Anyone been/done?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’ve been to a county show this weekend and one of the stands was advertising properties around lake balaton in Hungary. We’re talking much cheapness for properties out there. I have to say I was very very interested but the thought of too good to be true came to mind. Anyone been out that way?

tizzzzle
    Free Member

We’ve been out there in our campervan and it’s lovely, but very popular with Hungarians and therefore busy in the summer. Cheap as chips though, especially beer! Hungary is a great place.

willjones
    Free Member

Parents have a house on lake Balaton which we go and visit (step mother is Hungarian). I’d say well worth a holiday (as do many German people). You can make a nice drive of it too via Vienna and some nice bits of Germany. Many people in the area make their own wine – would recommend making lots of friends, and visiting as many cellars as possible!

I couldn’t possibly comment on the economics of property ownership.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is that a tongue in cheek comment? You can buy a 3 bed gaff 20 mins from the lake for 30-40k. That seems like good economics to me..

stuey
    Free Member

I’ve got a good friend from Hajdúszoboszló – Where I’ve visited- ‘spar town about 3 o’clock’. Lovely people great palinka /ice cream/ paprika – proper cold and hot – but he we works expat – can’t afford ‘our’ lifestyle on wages back home. I’m not sure if it’s central bank has stabilized yet / or is trusted by Hungarians ? ( I’ll have to ask my buddy)

Russell96

Be aware their VAT is bloody high and its not a great beer country, wine there’s some good stuff but beer ain’t their thing. Other pluses great people, lots of english speakers and some weird food combinations

mogrim

You can buy a 3 bed gaff 20 mins from the lake for 30-40k. That seems like good economics to me..

No, that sounds cheap. But you’ve got no idea about the build quality, any possible legal issues, what “20 mins from the lake” really means on a day-to-day basis…

As a comparison for that price you could also get a 3 bed place 20 mins from the sea in Spain. With all the same potential problems 🙂

ploeb
    Free Member

I stayed in a kind of health resort spa place for a week in Heviz once, close to Lake Balaton. It was alright. Mostly German speaking rather than English, not particularly cheap. Cheap flight to Budapest, stayed there a few days, then slow but cheap train to Balaton.

br
    Free Member

Is that a tongue in cheek comment? You can buy a 3 bed gaff 20 mins from the lake for 30-40k. That seems like good economics to me..

Not if you won’t be able to sell it to anyone other than a foreigner.

No different to buying a property in rural Scotland/Wales/Ireland; probably far cheaper than the South East but it doesn’t mean it’s ‘good economics’… 🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t get it – why would OP only be able to sell it to a foreigner?

mogrim

I don’t get it – why would OP only be able to sell it to a foreigner?

Presumably because no local would be stupid enough to buy it?

konabunny
    Free Member

I still don’t get it – why would that happen?

iolo
    Free Member

I live in Vienna and visit Sopron quite regularly, usuallly on a Sunday as Austria is usually shut.
    Great place for teeth and plastic surgery.
    It’s nice but food is not so much cheaper. Hungaian politics is extreme far right.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your a builder aint you?

If your remotely serious – fly out and look at em.

Hungarian building standards are shocking on the whole.

Hotel electrics even in ‘nice’ hotels were scary. ( i mean the kind of non chain hotels you get once your out of hotspots)

As far as people and the place – they are grand but not somewhere id rush to buy a holiday home.

willjones
    Free Member

Not tongue in cheek at all – I have no idea how much houses cost out there, and there are tons of variables, and different ways of financing this sort of thing and measuring the return depending on what you want to get out of it. Great place for a holiday though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Property/holidays in Hungary. Anyone been/done?’ is closed to new replies.