Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Property details polite rant…..
  • robdob
    Free Member

I’m looking at places we might want to move to if we sell our house. Why oh why is there NEVER any pictures of the garage? Or cellar (common round here)? I want to know what they are like – am I the only one??

And why are there only 6-8 pictures of most houses? This isn’t 15 years ago people, we have good cameras and loads of storage/bandwidth. SHould be 15 minimum even in small houses. Why do they think not having a picture of all the bedrooms is ok? Makes me suspicious straight away.

robdob
    Free Member

And I’ve put it in the wrong forum…..doh! Sorry about that.

northernmatt

If you had a car for sale and it has a few rusty bits would you take pictures of them and put them up there? No, you just take some generic front and rear quarter shots and hope that people will come and see it. A photo of the garage would be like taking a photo of the boot of the car, you know what it looks like it’ll just give you an impression of size.

aracer
    Free Member

I did when I sold my car on ebay.

To the OP – you’ll presumably also be wanting pictures of the patio. Particularly important if single bloke selling, but signs of female inhabitation.

LoCo
    Free Member

Or as we found, 3 bed, well actually no the 3rd bedroom is a shonky lean to home office that you get to through the kitchen and loo and could ‘easily be converted’ stupid estate agents 👿

hammyuk
    Free Member

Me too – when I was looking recently – I most certainly wanted to see pics of outside, garage, etc.
    When you call them – not one single agent had even taken those pics, let alone published them online.
    “well you can always book a viewing to look for yourself…”
    My answer?
    “I want to see if it’s worth my TIME viewing….”
    Funnily enough – not one was – the one I’m in just so happened to be one of only two that did have details of everything inc the garage.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Google Earth?
    Would you not be going to look around the property anyway?

nickjb
    Free Member

I did when I sold my car on ebay.

+1 Far more likely to bid on something where they show everything. Same goes for a house. Not expecting the garage to be gleaming or the spare room to be palatial. Saves a lot of trouble as people who come to look will be genuinely keen rather than walking disappointed.

Would you not be going to look around the property anyway?

Yes if you are keen on the rest but some good pics could turn one from the maybe not pile into one you go and see or save you the trouble of visiting at all.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Google earth won’t show the side/rear of a property – in some places doesn’t even show the property!
    The one I’m in now isn’t on there AT ALL!
    The one I own with ex is at least 3yrs out of date on their overhead pics and about 2yrs on street view.

jota180
    Free Member

I want to know what they are like – am I the only one??

Because women decide which houses you go and view and they aren’t interested in your planned weekend activities [or cellars and garages]

robdob
    Free Member

I think they’ve got some catching up to do…….

If you are a bit limited by time (which we may be when looking seriously) then you might dismiss a house that has an awesome workshop/garage which would be perfect but just described as “outbuilding” with no photos or description.

Google earth/maps/streetview is ok but it doesn’t show any detail, and the quality of the image is poor so doesn’t add much to your knowledge round here.

robdob
    Free Member

I want to know what they are like – am I the only one??

Because women decide which houses you go and view and they aren’t interested in your planned weekend activities [or cellars and garages][/quote]

My wife is very interested as she cares about what I want/need as much as her own needs. Does yours not?

cinnamon_girl

The Manager of my estate agent (aka Teflon Tony) thought my request for room measurements to be included with the sales brochure and online to be unnecessary. ‘People can just phone up for them’ the deadbeat said. 🙄

robdob
    Free Member

I’m staying in or near the same town, probably 30 mins away in traffic at the most. What happens if you want to move 200 miles away? A viewing is a major undertaking in those cases as these lazy useless estate agents are, yet again, making any potential move more difficult just because they can’t be bothered taking more than 8 pics or writing more than 100 words for their £2/3/4/5/6/7k fee. 👿

cinnamon_girl

And whilst I’m on a roll …

I received a request for a surveyor to come round. No problem I said. Estate agent said there’s a 3 hour window for their arrival, in case they’re caught in traffic or the previous property takes longer. 😯

You’re expecting me to make myself available for up to 5 hours when this is nothing to do with me?? No way!! What shall I do if they can’t, asks EA. Tell ’em to try harder was my response.

Was then asked if I could leave the key for them. 😯

🙄 They are the worst I’ve dealt with!

hels
    Free Member

Er, I think they want you to come and look at the house – so they can sell it to you. And get your details so they can show you some other house that are slightly more expensive. The ad is a taster to lure you in, not the full catalogue.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Viewed a house recently, it was borderline livable, asked the estate agent a couple of important questions, he said he would find out the answers and call me two days later. That was two months ago, still waiting.
    Going to view it again next week without my rose tinted specs on, maybe he’ll enlighten me then.

robdob
    Free Member

That presentation is fantastic – ok it’s for a very expensive house so a lot of commission but it isn’t that difficult to do something like that for all house with modern cameras and programs and web templates. No idea why the EA’s think that 1980’s presentation standards are still ok.

DT78
    Free Member

Bungalow does not equal a house.

Dinning room does not equal 3rd bedroom

Why does the profession of estate agent still exist in today’s digital age?

Considering how useless 90% of EA’s are, why do people insist on using them?

robdob
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I’m going with an online estate agent to sell our house. The EA places I’ve been into in my town have been absolutely useless.

We both work. As a lot of couples do. One place couldn’t and would not visit our house outside office hours 9-5 or even a Saturday. They wouldn’t offer anything else and actually seemed to act like it was odd that we couldn’t do office hours. They didn’t even listen – we said we got home about 5,30 so they then said maybe we can do 5pm and a stretch. Errr no you muppets, we won’t be home.

spooky_b329

Our estate agent was pretty good, they don’t bother taking photos, they do all the measurements/description and then send round a proper photographer with a decent camera who got some really good shots. Made our small two up two down look really spacious, no dark rooms with a perfect view of the street through the window.

On the other hand, in-laws are selling their spacious chalet bungalow, pictures are appalling. Some very weird angles, seems like they stood in the centre of the room for some of them. The kitchen/diner has been combined but instead of taking a photo of the whole lot from a convenient doorway, they have taken two photos and make it look like a small kitchen and a small dining room.

bruneep

Klunk – Member
    this is what you want (not the house but the presentation)

Not that great tho. I would’ve asked the builders to remove their shite from the front and moved the buggy.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The last time I lent keys for a surveyor to inspect unaccompanied was definitely the last time. He took up fitted carpets.

jfletch
    Free Member

The reason estate agents do this is because they think we are all stupid. “Oh we won’t show the shithole of a 3rd bedroom, no one will notice”

Same with Tesco and their “offers” which are just clever price manipulation. They assume we are stupid and won’t notice.

It’s rife in all sorts of business but with tech and better ways to communicate the it’s likely the customer is the smartest person in the transaction. Businesses would do well to realise this and start offering service rather than patronisation.

robdob
    Free Member

Thing is – tesco prices are there to see and it’s low price stuff. Really it’s just clever product positioning and pricing to make a bigger profit.

EA’s are simply useless cretins that simply cannot justify the massive fees they charge.

NZCol

7 mill for that **** me

tinribz
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s to get you to come looking, photos don’t give a great feel for a place. Probably a lot of the time the missing rooms are really untidy.

Viewed one the other day and since the photos were taken they’d knocked down one of the out-buildings, for more ‘garden space’!

simon_g

Yep, I always go straight for the floorplan to see if the garage is a decent size – or if they’ve stolen half of it for a “playroom” or “home office”.

I agree though, the minimal amount of work estate agents do for the money is staggering. I guess they see it as the minimum effort needed to get you to pick up the phone and arrange a viewing.

robdob
    Free Member

That’s only any good if the garage is integral. Most of the houses round here it is just mentioned in the details, but no detail such as size or construction, and never any pics unless it just happens to be in the main frontal house shot.

antigee

DT78 – Member
    Bungalow does not equal a house.

Dinning room does not equal 3rd bedroom

Why does the profession of estate agent still exist in today’s digital age?

profession implies a regulated activity with some sort of standards

robdob
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one….

unovolo
    Free Member

I do inventories for letting/Estate agents and take on average around 110 pictures for a 2 Bed terrace, most I have done was over 300pics for a 5 Bed farmhouse with indoor swimming pool,sauna etc.

The farmhouse was previously up for sale before being let ,the agent had 12 pics in comparison.

The estate agency industry on the whole are stuck in a 80’s timewarp.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Property details polite rant…..’ is closed to new replies.