Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Property boundary
  • wellhung
    Free Member

Which side of the property is traditionally the home owners responsibility as you look out to the bottom of your garden?

djglover
    Free Member

Mine is the right

Stoner
    Free Member

you mean who has responsibility for any erection marking a boundary? It’s whoever put it there.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Check you deeps it can vary.

phead
    Free Member

There is no tradition. Check the deeds, or title plan and register if registered (most are), grab here (Land Reg) if you don’t have them.

Read this ( Linky ) before trying to understand the documents.

Macgyver

Not a fixed rule but typically, your fence is the one with the aris rail on your side. Equally so, if it’s a brick wall you’d expect the piers to be on your side as well. ie your fence/wall presents the nice side to your neighbour. But as above, only the deeds will give the certain answer

supertramp
    Free Member

There is no rule, and it will probably not be on your deeds, i have had this issue before!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Not a fixed rule but typically, your fence is the one with the aris rail on your side.

Indeed. But uneducated nupties erect their replacement fences with the more anaesthetically pleasing side towards them.

Also, beware where ex. council properties are involved, all may not be as it seems. I bought an ex. Council house many moons ago and they sold me the neighbours brand new fence (she lived in a council rented property still) which her late husband had lovingly installed the wrong way round (aris rails to my side). So my property owned every fence, both sides and end (Councils like to sell off their fences…saves them having to maintain them).

Edit.

My boundaries were clearly marked on my deeds.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no idea me and the neighbour went halves as we both wanted it sorted and it seemed the reasonable thing to do
    We did the work between us as well.

Stuey01
    Free Member

no idea me and the neighbour went halves as we both wanted it sorted and it seemed the reasonable thing to do
    We did the work between us as well.

How utterly mature and reasonable.

Are you sure you’re in the right place?

wellhung
    Free Member

How utterly mature and reasonable.

Are you sure you’re in the right place?

Reasonable is not going to happen even whilst the property was being renovated prior to being habitated he’d called the Enviromental Health? round complaining about works being carried out during normal working hours.

This will go Nuclear Meltdown lol

nickjb
    Free Member

My understanding is that the boundary is the face of the smooth side of the fence so if you can see the posts its your fence but as above it could have been rebuilt incorrectly.

Cougar

Well, I’m glad that got cleared up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Property boundary’ is closed to new replies.