Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Proper riding in wales
  • beerbelly
    Free Member

We all go to wales and do the trail centres but there must be so much more better riding anyone got any routes ? Anywhere

MrOvershoot

South, Mid or North?

Masses of stuff with some epic climbs & descents

I have a fair few from North Wales as that's where I ride but I ride with others who have a "mountain" of routes.
    Oh and check out ST mag this month for a big ride up through Wales by some of my mates.
    a-big-ride-for-little-lives-the-digital-version

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    beerbelly
    Free Member

Captain

If you got nothing to imput go and F*** off

gothandy

Black Mountain's Killer here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38354777

There is a hike a bike up Y Das and a bit of road linkage but the rest is sweet.

Vortexracing

Conwy mountain, Drum and back to Conwy, great route just ask lowey. 😆
    Capel Curig is also suposed to be very good

valleydaddy
    Free Member

of course there is tons of stuff all over the place.

Be nice to us and we'll show you the way 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nah…theres **** all you arsehat 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    Nah…theres **** all you arsehat

Hence my post….! 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Roschach, I know it was aimed at the OP! 🙂

mtbfix

Harsh treatment of cfh there! He's right though. There is a lot to be said for exploring a place for yourself. Rose tint of my spectacles on the past brings me happy memories of pushing the bike up the side of the Elan Valley when a bridleway proved unrideable followed by an almighty slog along a landrover track out of the neighbouring valley. Happy Days!

vdubber67
    Free Member

How about this?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Conwy mountain, Drum and back to Conwy, great route just ask lowey.

Ear, I understand you know Kevevs? My divine host for a few days…

S'good up here in North Wales! 😀

gnusmas

awesome trails in brechfa away from the marked routes, started riding there a few years before the trails opened but you have to start at the other side of the forest.

ton

recently rode the pont scethin route, rode up n down cader idris, and a big old route between mach and nant………….wales is good.

doing the wayfarer on sunday too………… 8)

beerbelly
    Free Member

Most folk's heading to wales just do a trail centre i know there is great riding there just asking advise on some routes what's wrong with that ??

Captain you prick

TheBrick
    Free Member

This is the internet if you can't take a little ribbing, **** off yourself.

Ambrose

beerbelly- if you mail me you email I'll see what I can do to help you out. Mostly South Wales, plus Mid Wales and a smattering of N Wales.

ton

beerbelly………………loads on here.

http://www.mtbwales.co.uk/

beerbelly
    Free Member

Brick

Don't mind a piss take but captain dosn't say anything of any benefit to anyone

cinnamon_girl

The classics – Wayfarer or Gap Route? Monk's Trod?

Ambrose

I wouldn't inflict the Monk's Trod on anyone- especially in this weather!

ton

llantysilio mountain route from llandegla is good fun too……..and not too far from civilisation

beerbelly
    Free Member

Cinnamon

Have done the gap great route would like to find natural stuff around coedy brenin

cinnamon_girl

I wouldn't inflict the Monk's Trod on anyone- especially in this weather

Yours truly came up with the idea of walking part of it and the weather was shocking. My friends no longer listen to my suggestions. 😳

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Used to ride with this guy. Some great routes on his website

Ambrose

CG- even with a bike it is a walk! There is some great riding to be had close by though.

BB- take a look at the Pont Scethin route- I think Bike Fax cover it. Cadair Idris is a there and back if done legally, and follows the bridleway up from Llanfihangell yr Pennant

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/MawddachPontScethin.html
    http://www.mtbtrailfinder.co.uk/html/routes/wales/snowdonia.htm

And the Pont Scethin Route is definately best ridden in a clockwise direction.

RepacK
    Free Member

Some sensitive types on here tonight..

singlespeedstu

Ambrose – Member

I wouldn't inflict the Monk's Trod on anyone- especially in this weather!

CG- even with a bike it is a walk!

The last time the Trod was included in The Welsh Two Day Enduro they allowed us 12 minutes to get from one end to the other. 😯

I made it with 30 seconds to spare. 8)

You're right though it's a nightmare on a pushbike if it's wet.

Mounty_73

I have been looking at routes/trails away from the centres, recently borrowed this book from the library.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wales-Mountain-Biking-Tom-Hutton/dp/1906148139/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282806096&sr=8-1

Covers quite a bit including Brecon Beacons, the Black Mountains etc

heihei

And the Pont Scethin Route is definately best ridden in a clockwise direction.

Have you ridden it both ways? Interested as I've only done it anti-clockwise,and thought it cracking.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

FWIW My favourite area is mid Wales between Machynlleth and Llanwyrtyd Wells, miles and miles of natural going which is to be found on Landranger 135,136 and 147 Monks Trod isn't that bad, rode about 80% on the Welsh Ride Thing this year, the watersplashes from Strata Florida to Llyn Brianne is a classic as is the track across Hyddgen Moor from Mach to Ponterwyd.
    SSSTU, I also did the Welsh 2 Day the last time it crossed the Trod in the late 80's, remember it being particularly wet. Came across a guy just standing in the middle of a huge bog in Tarenig forest, when I got closer, I realised that he was standing on a sidecar which was buried up to the tank in mud, I think it's still there.Do you remember the Welsh where they redirected cutting out the Trod as a plane had crashed?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

mbnw.co.uk plenty of routes on all North Wales has to offer!

singlespeedstu

Do you remember the Welsh where they redirected cutting out the Trod as a plane had crashed?

Yes if i remember right it was quite hot that year and they redirected the route round one of the resevoirs.

I know exactly where the big bog in the Tarenig is. We used to go up there with Adey Nixon for a bit of bog hopping practise. 😆

Rickos
    Free Member

http://www.mtb-wales.com/

The Gap Road is a classic. I wouldn't bother with the Black Mountains Killer Loop though. Only one good downhill for lots and lots of endless climbing. Loads of stuff in the Valleys too.

br
    Free Member

Gotta agree with the Captain, stop been a lazy git and look yourself.

We've ridden loads all over Wales – just surf for routes, checked out multimap etc and then buy the OS maps.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Gosh I knew Adrian Nixon, I used to knock around with Wyn Hughes, Geraint,Chris Walton,Alan Bates, Benji and the Aberystwyth lads. Didn't Adrian get killed a few years ago?

singlespeedstu

I bet you know me too then. 😉

Yes saddly Ade was involved in a head on collision with a foreign lorry on the wrong side of the road. 😥
    I still miss the Welsh retard. 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Sorry stu, been out working. Where are/were you based then? If you are around, I'm in Devils Bridge this weekend and could meet up for a spin. I'm now living near Sheffield but still get across to Wales quite a lot.
    You might remember me from my enduro exploits
    Passed Alan Bates on a hare & hounds in about 1980, crashed immediately breaking arm.
    Passed Derrick Edmondson on the Welsh, crashed immediately breaking bike.
    Had a head on with Colin Boniface in the Rhayader Brit Champ, broke lots of things (he was going the wrong way) Came 4th in Brit Champs in 1990 on a KTM 300, gave up for the sake of my health 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Proper riding in wales’ is closed to new replies.