Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Proper Breathing
  • J0N
    Free Member

Do people concentrate or even aware of how they breath while exercising?

I was out for a run last night, I hate it but want a bit of alternate fitness. I found that I breath low in my lungs/chest. When I breath through my nose and focused on my breathing I automatically lifted and opened my chest. I was able take air in a lot easier and calmer but breathing through your nose restricts the amount of air you can get to your lungs. When reverting to breathing through my mouth I found my chest automatically dropped and had to really focus to lift and open it again.
    Now I’ll admit, I am slightly over weight but I have reasonable bike fitness and endurance. I have a touch of asthma which is medicated and under control but limits my top end exertion, possible fitness though. I have been biking since for ever it feels but only recently began to focus on increasing fitness. Was very fit in my youth. I commute to and form work 10 miles each day but sit in front of a computer all day.

So any thoughts on this? Any professional advice very welcome and appreciated.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

where can I apply for a job as a professional breather ? I’m dead good at it and haven’t stopped for 55 years! Is that a record ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but breathing through your nose restricts the amount of air you can get to your lungs

and prevents you from talking 🙁

OTOH….

RealMan
    Free Member

When I used to run I’d try to focus on breathing through my nose (for shorter runs (10-30 minutes) try running with a mouthful of water) but when it comes to cycling I dont bother.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m an improper breather – I get out of breath just walking quickly. I put it down to laziness, but thankfully automatic systems kick in if I exercise harder. Am I not right in thinking your life would have to be very boring for you to have attention to spare for breathing ?

Trimix
    Free Member

Have you tired putting one of those sticky strips on your nose. I use them when doing motorcyle enduros – partly cos they are harder physically than mountain biking and because the goggle can squish your nose a little. But they really do open up your nose. Its like having an extra hole in your nose.

cheers_drive

I’m interested in this too.
    I find that my breathing is much more controlled when running or on the road bike. Off road it’s all over the place: not only with exersion changes with the terrian but I also do large intake of breath before tackling obsticles on technical climbs. I’ve never managed to train myself out of it. I also rarely breath through my nose because of the dodgy sinuses I inherited from my father.

molgrips
    Free Member

Try pulling your nostrils out then inhaling through your nose. It makes it loads easier.

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve got tiny nostrils. I find I can’t get enough air in through my nose alone and end up opening my mouth just so I don’t choke when working hard. Is it so bad to breathe through the mouth when exercising hard?

Chase
    Free Member

One of the french TDF teams were sticking out their tongues on climbs as they believe it opens up the airway more (obviously if you are breathing through your mouth).

bonesetter
    Free Member

Most people have a shallow breathing pattern. It’s alot to do with 21st living – day to day stresses/anxieties. This means the breathing will mainly take place in the upper part of the chest, while the rest will not be used. This is very inefficient as vital capacity will be reduced, and more breaths per minute will be used, along with more energy too.

A better breathing cycle begins much lower – in the belly, and gradually fills the thorax in a 3-D action[/i].

This means expansion is outward to the sides as well as upward and forward. This will massively increase vital capacity, produce a slower breathing rate, and mean you can climb faster and for longer.

To the OP – your mild asthma means you can breath in OK, but you may have more difficulty breathing out occasionally. Diaphragmatic breathing may be beneficial in your case. Focus on the movement – filling out to the sides etc at the level of your lower ribs…

Have fun experimenting and see the difference

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

This is very inefficient as vital capacity will be reduced, and more breaths per minute will be used, along with more energy too.

the more energy I waste the more I can eat 🙂

This will massively increase vital capacity

and what of the rigid ribcage ?

and mean you can climb faster and for longer

I’m skeptical about this – I feel I’m limited by the capacity of my muscles, not my ability to feed them oxygen, and I don’t believe shallow breather atrophies your lungs any more than walking prevents you from running.

J0N
    Free Member

I’ve heard of the shallow breathing norm for inactive periods. My confusion is why I switch to low down breathing, like i’m filling my belly in a fat boy competition and forget to fill the top of my lungs unless I breath through my nose. Just found it strange that I noticed it recently while running of all things.

molgrips
    Free Member

and what of the rigid ribcage ?

It’s not rigid, it’s pretty flexible.

Your muscles by the way are limited in part by the amount of oxygen that can be transported to them. Lung capacity is one of the factors…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never really use the “belly” part of my breathing, feels very un-natural, uncomfortable and unhelpful to me (I have tried this before, strangely). I find I get more than enough breath just by using my normal breathing space (behind my nipples). But then I often find I stop breathing for 2-3 seconds when relaxing, without thinking about it. Missus laughs and suggests I’ll forget to start breathing again one day.

tails
    Free Member

Have you tired putting one of those sticky strips on your nose. I use them when doing motorcyle enduros – partly cos they are harder physically than mountain biking and because the goggle can squish your nose a little. But they really do open up your nose. Its like having an extra hole in your nose.

this could be because people breath more through one nostril than the other this alternates around every two hours, just a guess but i reckon these plastic strips open both nostrils so your getting more oxygen.

coffeeking
    Free Member

this could be because people breath more through one nostril than the other this alternates around every two hours,

Are you serious? If I dont have a cold I breathe equally through both nostrils, but I rarely breathe through nostrils when exercising, nose just doesnt allow the flow rate I need.

tails
    Free Member

Are you serious? If I dont have a cold I breathe equally through both nostrils, but I rarely breathe through nostrils when exercising, nose just doesnt allow the flow rate I need.

I read about it a while back, put your hand under your nose and breath out not to forcefully with me one is more dominant than the other, I’m sure a more knowledgeable person could should more light on it. I also breath from my mouth when exercising. Are we solely breathing from our mouth or using both??

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Are we solely breathing from our mouth or using both??

setting aside boundary effects, the air flow will be roughly proportional to cross sectional area, so nose will be about 2%…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Proper Breathing’ is closed to new replies.