• This topic has 40 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Proof tandems can fly.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OK so its hardly big air and its a rubbish video but with a combined age of well over 100 and a combined weight enough to set of earthquakes 🙂
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYh36DrhvQo&feature=channel[/video]

It looks bigger in fullscreen 🙂

billysugger
    Free Member

Yes!

Whip next

Drac

What was the chances of another coming behind you at the same time.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

but like a shaft drive motorcycle – you can’t wheelie it 😉

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I’ve known plenty wheelies done on shaft drive bikes – even those with an inline crankshaft.

hugor
    Free Member

Very funny! You could go double arse over head if you got that wrong.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

@Orange Crush – TROLL!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You need some faith in the person up front on the controls for that!

porter_jamie

Awesome. I want a tandem.

druidh
    Free Member

Tandems aren’t niche enough.

You need one of these…

matthew_h
    Free Member

That’s really pretty cool imo TJ

Nice work

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is always one druidh!

I wheelied my BMW r1100 two up BTW. easier that the tandem

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member

You need some faith in the person up front on the controls for that!

Or valium 🙂

nick3216
    Free Member

You need one of these…

oddly enough I was in a bike shop a couple of weeks ago trying to work out if I could fit fat tyres into a 5 Spot rear end (I think tscheezy already did it) and Boxxer forks. what with fat tyres, suspension and a suspension seat post the stoker wouldn’t eve feel the tins of cat food as you rode over old ladies*

* no points for the reference

almightydutch
    Free Member

Not a tandem fan but the fat bike one makes perfect sense IMO

While we’re on tandems, why not offset the pedals for a more continuous power stroke.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

While we’re on tandems, why not offset the pedals for a more continuous power stroke.

some roadies do this – but for offroad you need to be able to stand up and coast both with pedals fore and aft

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Playing at glentress today – Loads of video to be edited. berm baby berm was funny

almightydutch
    Free Member

some roadies do this – but for offroad you need to be able to stand up and coast both with pedals fore and aft

and now i know, cheers Jezza

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

IMO the hardest thing about riding a tandem is the co-ordinated coast-pedal-coast routine required. Constant (bossy) communication is needed. I rode the Laggan Red with my Brother-in-law on the back. He claims his eyes were closed on the boardwalk. We struggled with the initial corner (a major bail for JT – he ended up under the bike!) but cleaned the rest. Suffered from a bit of chain-out on the lower jumpy section though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Troutwrestler – thats core! we tried the lower red at laggan but found it hard to have enough bottle to carry enough speed to get thru. fun trying tho. did you do the airs rock? MrsTJ took one look at it and said NO very firmly 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

That fatbike is genius!

the hardest thing about riding a tandem is the co-ordinated coast-pedal-coast routine required.

Do freewheeling tandems exist – where the 2 riders cranks are not coupled?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Didn’t do Air’s Rock – you might ground out on the run in come to think of it. Laggan is very tight for a tandem. I don’t own it, just a friend’s we borrowed for the day – my Stag do. A Claud Butler with discs if I recall. Rigid too. I put our success down to naiveity/misplaced confidence on my part, and bravery/misplaced trust on JT’s.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes -davinci – it needs 3 bbs – however you end up with 36 gears

Each ride r can freewheel independently

We want a davinci symbiosis full susser with all the bells and whistles

fasthaggis

Transrockie tandem

This couple did the TR the same year as I did. They went down some really tech stuff that a lot of solo mincers were walking. They were having a great time.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Some friends of mine have taken a tandem around Laggan, including down Airs Rock. Pretty bad ass. They’re great fun 😀

Edit: Found a photo:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice one. I was sure it would be fine but mrs TJ she say NO!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hugor – Member

Very funny! You could go double arse over head if you got that wrong.

thats why we had helmets on 😉

singlespeedstu

Can I join in with a picture of us on the boardwalk at Afan.

Mincy by sheldonattwood, on Flickr
    We even managed to overtake a few people on the first climb up Whites. 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂 Boardwalk scares the poo out of me.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Love it! 8)

aracer
    Free Member

It looks bigger in fullscreen

Not sure that’s an advantage!

Somewhere I also have proof of tandems flying – a picture of ours being loaded on a Ryanair plane 😉

As mentioned elsewhere, I’ve endoed a tandem (something else not supposed to be possible).

Bunnyhop

Nice one. I was sure it would be fine but mrs TJ she say NO!

Ha ha, that would be my answer, however nbt would probably just take me down it without any warning.

hugor
    Free Member

Looking at that Laggan photo I wonder is it possible to endo a tandem?
    Insane pic BTW! Full respect!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ hugor – yonks ago I saw cheap tandems for hire in Singapore. They had separate chains and freewheels for the riders, who were mostly out of phase. They looked scary.

And from a passengers’s viewpoint – the more you hang off the back, the less you actually see. Which can be a help and comfort.

matt_outandabout

Ace pics! I remember a lap of Mabie red with AndyH of 7Stanes building at the helm – i sh*t myself at the speed we took things, and ended up twisting the stoker bars trying to ‘help’ it round the corners…

druidh
    Free Member

Looking at that Air’s Rock photo – and the person holding the camera off to the right of the shot – it’s easy to see that the picture has been tilted to increase the angle of the slope.

Yer still mad tho!

tandemwarriors

Nice one team TJ. Agree with berm baby berm, we sessioned it over and over again last time we were at GT. Bloody brilliant!

Rob

kayak23

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YKAoYeBnGJ0[/video]

nick3216
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/m/12042264[/video]

MarkN
    Free Member

Nice one TJ. I guess if you want more air then you will need more speed, best have a word with the stoker 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Proof tandems can fly.’ is closed to new replies.