Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Proof of NCD – Why?
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Why do I often have to get proof of NCD when I change insurers?

There must be a reason they put me through all this ball ache when they can (presumably) just check with other insurers, or just take my word for it and refuse to pay out if I get it wrong.

Why?

CountZero

Yeah, me too, they can all get details from your previous insurer, so it seems pointless, especially when most cap the number of years at nine anyway.

scotroutes

Fair point.

I can’t imagine anyone has ever lied in order to get cheaper motor insurance.

My insurers always mail me a PNC within a couple of weeks.

martinhutch

Do you have your renewal letter? – not really that much of a ball-ache to send a copy over.

My lot did it automatically when I changed insurers online this month.

parkesie
    Free Member

Its even more fun when you have to tell them to send themselves the proof.

mechanicaldope

For some reason I didn’t have to provide it when I changed insurers last month.

parkesie
    Free Member

Some can check via this wonderfull invetion called the internet.

mechanicaldope

Wots that?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Do you have your renewal letter?

Binned it, never occurred to me it could be proof of NCD, but I guess it is.

antigee

rkesie – Member
    Its even more fun when you have to tell them to send themselves the proof.

had that problem when switched from a single car policies to a combined policy with the same co’….but it wasn’t really fun after it got a bit protracted

wilburt
    Free Member

There is an automated system, not everyone is on it though. Of the remajnder they don’t ask everyone(it costs money) just a proportion. Selection of who to request it from is risk based, you must be flagged as more likely to not have what you say than average.

bazzer
    Free Member

Also why when I am insuring a motorbike or van do they want scans of my license but not when I insure a car!

Cougar

They ask for proof.
    You can’t find proof.
    MOAR PROFITS!!

scotroutes

bazzer – Member
    Also why when I am insuring a motorbike or van do they want scans of my license but not when I insure a car!

That must be company specific. I’ve never been asked for that with my van.

bazzer
    Free Member

3 companies I have insured my van with have asked for it.

Edited to add, its my company van if that makes any difference.

footflaps

Given they share all claims information to stop multiple claims, they already have access to all the info they need.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Use your old renewal and email it to your new insurer?

Yes a new easy faster system would be nice.

5 mins of your time to snap with a mobile, forward to your new policy folks and paste your new policy number.

stumpy01

footflaps – Member

Given they share all claims information to stop multiple claims, they already have access to all the info they need.

This is the annoying thing about it. They can bloody access all the info that they need, but then ask you to dig out the proof.

I had an annoying situation quite a few years ago when I switched provider. They didn’t ask for previous proof of no-claims. I stayed with them for a couple of year and then when moving on they said they couldn’t provide me with proof of no-claims because I hadn’t provided proof of no-claims (that they hadn’t asked for) to them when I first took the policy out.
    Eventually, they agreed to providing me with a certain amount of no-claims proof. I can’t remember how much now; something like 50% of what I actually had. Which just shows how preposterous the whole situation is, because they effectively just made my no-claims amount up on the spot….

outofbreath
    Free Member

they effectively just made my no-claims amount up on the spot….

I had this with a motorcycle. My first big bike. My first year of insurance. (Pre-internet.) Called Bennets for a quote it seemed quite high to both me and the sales girl. She said “Tell you what, I’ll give you our max NCD which is 12 years.”. She did that and made a note of the policy of what she’d done!

grumpysculler
    Free Member

You want proof? You can’t handle the proof.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Proof of NCD – Why?’ is closed to new replies.