Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Professor Green Suicide and Me
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

By business partner watched this and told me about it …. I have watched the first 20 minutes but have to go out . Just 20 minutes has touched me so much .

I’ve been affected by this issue , I’m certain others in the STW have too.

I’m not greatly aware of this rapper … But must say well done for him making this programme.

badnewz
    Free Member

He’s very different from his public image. My dad’s family knew his extended family in Hackney as they lived nearby.
    Male suicide is a major issue and it doesn’t get enough attention.
    But as an example of what we are up against, take the idiotic lady who said “All white men should die”. She DIDN’T lose her job.
    Unfortunately, too many of us seem to be taking her advice.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

But as an example of what we are up against, take the idiotic lady who said “All white men should die”. She DIDN’T lose her job.

Who said that?

MSP

WTF

Absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yes who said that.

To the op the programme does get more insightful and is a great credit to the Stephens image.

I had a near miss moment of suicidal action early this year to the extent a family member made contact with a crisis team.
    Since then I have quit my work, looking at other options in the pipeline and in entering a new relationship which was much needed.

I am looking forward to niece and unborn nephew to grow up whilst I am around and to look for new opps and enjoy life more.

Change does happen even if it’s baby steps from the darkness out into the light.
    Lord knows I’ve been threw the dirty stuff but just dust off over time and get up and rocking again.
    I still have heavy trauma weighing on my mind, so much so that I feel prof green’s words of getting them off your chest before reaching a certain age will determine a great weight lifted off my shoulders.

We’ll see.
    Apart from that I am 😀 at the moment and trying to live in the present.

MSP

It was a university diversity officer, who was holding a meeting for the people “diversity” is mainly aimed at, and asked that white men don’t attend. She received a load of flak and abuse for that request until she made a stupid statement that her abusers seized on and used to try and destroy her life.

It is very strange that it should be brought up on a thread about male suicide, when in reality when you dig a bit deeper into the story beyond the tabloid headlines it actually reveals the abuse and bullying dished out to women that too often leads them to take their own lives.

There are clearly cultural issues around male mental issues and the need to be seen as strong and in control when you feel quite the opposite, but trying to lay the blame at the feet of women is just idiotic. It seems that there are still men that want to feel strong by making women weaker, pushing them back into their traditional subservient roles instead of dealing with their own issues.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well said MSP

wwaswas

Badnewz – blaming women for men not being able to express emotions in ways that aren’t damaging to themselves and others demeans both you and the subject that is about.

I watched the program and he came across as a young man struggling to understand being ‘abandoned’ by both of his parents at different times in his life .

I thought it was well written, sensitively presented and addressed a lot of key issues about mens mental health.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I’m with wwaswas on this.

Dunno where wonen part came into it tbh.
    I somehow believe men suffer because of work struggles but wouldn’t go to blame women for that out of an equality viewpoint.

There are just so many factors involved in mh issues and outcomes/circumstances.

It would be silly to blame just one area of life as a trigger for mh breakdown.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’ve watched the rest of the programme now. Certainly had some tears at times … He was touching on some things that have affected me too. Fair play to someone in his position and image being so open

senorj

It’s on my list to watch. I heard him being interviewed on the radio.
    I share some of his “issues” and thought he was very eloquent.
    Haven’t heard his tunes though….

mark88

Started watching it at lunch but after the first 10 mins I decided I’ll probably best watching it at home. No onions to blame in the office!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Professor Green Suicide and Me’ is closed to new replies.