• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Professional snagging services (new build)
  • Jolsa

Moving into a new build 2 bed flat in December and am thinking of paying someone to do a snagging service to highlight anything that needs attention.

Has anyone done this/can recommend anyone?

I’ve Googled, but was after any STW personal experiences 🙂

franksinatra

I’ve not used one but after our last experience of buying a new build I would definately use one in the future.

Neighbours of ours buying a much bigger house used a snagging company, the report extended to many many pages of faults, many of which would never have been spotted by most home owners until they became a problem in the far future.

b_man
    Free Member

I would suggest hiring a building surveyor to do the job, I imagine the defects they are likely to find would make the cost of hiring them pail in comparison.

If you were in Wales I could recommend someone.

speaker2animals

As I walked past a local new build estate I noticed they were making a big thing of 5 years warranty. Is that really any good on something that should last a lifetime (or is it a lifetime guarantee, the house falls down on you on the 5th birthday of you moving in)?

Are you actually covered by any legislation if you buy a new house, which makes this warranty thing nothing but smoke and mirrors?

ojom
    Free Member

Doesn’t your housebuilder offer this as standard. Most new build I used to work in had this service.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would suggest hiring a building surveyor to do the job, I imagine the defects they are likely to find would make the cost of hiring them pail in comparison.

+1

But…and this is a big “but”, if there are builders still on site, get to know the foreman and be nice to him…or to anyone who comes in to do the snagging. The last thing you want to be known as is “the awkward fecker* at No. whatever”. Be firm and polite. There’s always snagging to be done with a new build and get the problems sorted as soon as you can. Save the “being a bastard” about as your joker. Once you’ve played it, there’s no going back.

* but probably a much worse word than this.

Good luck with the flat. I remember my first place being a new build…was so excited about it.

Jolsa

There’s a 10 year NHBC guarantee I forgot to say, but from things I’ve read that isn’t up to much?

-m-
    Free Member

NHBC 10-year is an insurance policy against major issues. There is a shorter (2-year I think) warranty on things having been done properly / to an acceptable standard.

I’ve snagged 2 of my own houses, and a flat for a family member. Generally I’d follow a basic system of working round each room systematically (e.g. always go round to the left from the doorway). Do a general check on finish of paintwork and woodwork. Anything that’s been installed (e.g. tiling, flooring, plumbing, heating, electrical sockets, doors, windows, cupboards) check the quality of installation (is it finished, straight, tight, tidy etc) and the function (does it work, is it smooth etc as appropriate). Check also that what is/was specified is actually installed. Do similar outside, as well as having a look inside loft spaces etc. To do this properly takes a while, and some familiarity with what/how things should be done helps, but isn’t necessarily essential.

As above, it’s not necessary to be a pain, but presenting something structured will help – most builders are used to verbal / fag packet lists only. If you’re organised then builders will initially be unsure how to take it if you hand over a printed list, but actually quite like it as it gives everyone a clear picture. I used to give them an updated version every couple of weeks showing what was still outstanding, and adding any initial ideas that crop up. Being reasonable/pragmatic in terms of how things can be fixed helps as well – if you’re sensible then the developer is more likely to respect your opinion and go out of their way to make you happy.

In the case of the flat I looked at for a family member the ‘premium’ developer involved was initially totally dismissive of there being any faults at all (as they had already ‘snagged’ it themselves). However, a well-presented list made them review the situation, and would have provded a sound basis for escalation had they contested things.

hels
    Free Member

-m- How do you find time to do all this in your busy schedule of train-spotting and geo-caching ??

molgrips
    Free Member

the report extended to many many pages of faults, many of which would never have been spotted by most home owners until they became a problem in the far future.

Examples?

Jolsa

Thanks for all your comments. Surprised at how insistent I’ve had to be with the builder/developer so far (am a FTB), so am thinking getting someone else in to argue the snagging bit will be worth it.

-m- thanks for the detailed reply, will follow that plan myself in addition to anyone I get in.

If anyone else reads this having gone through the same process, please post your recommendations/rants for info. Cheers 🙂

-m-
    Free Member

-m- How do you find time to do all this in your busy schedule of train-spotting and geo-caching ??

Sorry, just popped out for a couple of hours as I’d heard that there was some particularly interesting paint drying nearby. It’s tough to be this exciting, but I do my best 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Professional snagging services (new build)’ is closed to new replies.