Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Production Privée Shan
  • mrmoofo

Can someone let me in on the secret? They have lovely paint jobs … but why is the tube set so basic.
    Folks fro many years have talked about the Inbread being made from scaffold poles ( admittedly with the welding from hell, but still better that my Orange Patriot). But aren’t these the same tubes that PP use?
    Or is it like being a fan of Radiohead? – if you have to ask, you just don’t understand

chiefgrooveguru

It isn’t basic. Yes, it’s 4130 cromo but what matters is the diameters, wall thicknesses, butting and shaping of the tubes. I think it’s heat-treated too. There’s a lot more to it than it saying 853 or whatever on it.

mrmoofo

They are beautiful looking bike, great paint jobs …. hence the interest / reading specs. I guess its about how they ride … but 700 euros, seriously?

( I am am a Cotic Solaris / BFe owner … who could be temped to stray)

breninbeener

The chain stays are flattened and aligned to give some vertical compliance….they are also unheat-treated i believe. It rides great!

bruneep

I looked at buying one but was put off by the press fit BB. Ended up with a stanton switchback

kayak23

They are brilliant.

Here’s mine by a river.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YirSCf]Macclesfield forest. September 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

And here it is in a river.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YyxUSg]Macclesfield forest. September 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

They ain’t made from some old pig iron you know. It’s Japanese and shit, which makes it well good.

It is though, just a fantastic riding frame. I love hardtails and have had a lot of them and this one, and the Oka I also have, are far and away the most ‘comfortable’ and smooth I’ve ridden. I choose my Shan over my full suss probably 90% of my rides.

Production Privee are the shizzle.

Regarding the press fit bb, as most people seem to be I was put off. But I’ve not had a single issue or sign of wear in the year or so I’ve had the cheap Deore bb fitted. So I’m no longer suspicious.

Actually, going to test ride the new Shan and Shan No.5 at the Steel is Real demo day at fod tomorrow.
    Best leave the wallet at home.
    🙂

superfli
    Free Member

I was in the market for one a while ago. The pressfit bb, lack of bottle bosses (Not so now), and basic tubing for the cost put me off. They all add up.
    Ended up with a Stanton switchback mk1. Love it.
    That said pretty much all of my riding mates with HT, are privee owners lol!

Will be at steel day too 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

They ain’t made from some old pig iron you know. It’s Japanese and shit, which makes it well good.

Not always 😉

http://www.businessinsider.com/japans-kobe-steel-cheat-data-products-10-years-2017-10

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

The main tubes are straight but the stays are very shaped. It rides amazing and its actually quite light. I love mine.

nickc

ignore the tube material specifics, it makes no difference to the ride quality of the bike, which as others have said is sumblime. It really is one of the most comfortable hardtails I’ve every ridden. TBH the press fit BB isn’t an issue either, it’s uses the Shimnano 71/94 size which are more or less creak free. The campy style internal headset is less great for a longer fork (160mm) though.

I’d have another.

I had an itch for a long travel HT, so a while after buying my Capra (and having a 26″ S-Works Enduro sat in the shed, I bought VGC a 26″ Shan frame from PB for £250. Transferred some bits over and bought some new bits (drivetrain mostly).

It’s a fab winter/hardcore bike with a real world cost of around £500 to me.

I ought to actually get out and ride it tbh…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VEF6H5]DSC04274[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Production Privée Shan’ is closed to new replies.