Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Problem setting fork sag (stiction)
  • astrozombies
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m having trouble setting the sag on my forks…

I am getting on the bike very gently and then standing up in the attack position fully loaded with gear. It seems that half the time the forks barely budge at all and then the other half they suddenly release and dive (perhaps when I’m putting slightly more weight over the front). So the sag reading is never the same and varies massively.

I’ve sprayed the stanchions with silicone spray to see if this would get them to stop sticking but no joy.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Rob

br
    Free Member

Yep.

Just roll with it and it’s only an approximation – just take a shock pump out with you the first couple of rides and alter as/when.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m more inclinded to set them up so I get full travel on a hard ride.

astrozombies
    Free Member

Ah that makes sense, thanks.

Would it be best to dial in the air pressure before starting to mess around with the rebound setting? I.e. stick the rebound to middle to start off with, get the pressure right so that it just about uses full travel on the biggest obstacle then start tinkering with rebound?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, I like to set the spring first, then the rebound, then the compression. I find the adjustment with the most noticeable effect goes first, then in descending order. If not, something like compression adjustment gets blown out of the water when you swap springs or ramp up the air pressure.

legend
    Free Member

I am getting on the bike very gently

Why? Get on the bike and bounce it around the place until the suspension settles into its natural position, then measure from there (push o-rings against seals, etc)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I find it best with a helper.

Put bike near a solid wall or fence. Get on bike, attack position, bounce around a bit, let it settle. Get friend to make small mark on stanchion next to wiper with black marker. Viola. The mark doesn’t last for long.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Problem setting fork sag (stiction)’ is closed to new replies.