Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Problem – lower bearing race spinning on fork.
  • MrSparkle

Got a pair of rigid forks for the SS and slung 'em on. I noticed that the bearing race wasn't a tight fit on the tapered end of the fork but I didn't have much choice so I assembled it anyway. Trouble is that the fork now 'knocks'. Any suggestions how to cure this?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

New crown race.

minnellium
    Free Member

Hi Si

You could try whipping the race off giving the fork race crown metal a good roughing up with a hammer and screwdriver – this has worked for me on some not-so-prescious forks in the past. A few indents to raise the surface of the metal might be all that's needed as long as the slipping race hasn't had too much time to smooth / round things off.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

If you are not too bothered about getting the crown race off again you could fit it using strong threadlock or even stud and bearing fixer (really strong threadlock). Should secure the race to the crown if there is only a small gap there. Takes about 24hrs to set fully IIRC.

the-muffin-man

Araldite!

Grimy
    Free Member

Get some loctite Bearing fit compound. That will stop it spinning and can be removed again for servicing.

Loctite 641 is medium strength

Loctite 648 is a high strength retaining compound

Or if the bearing fits like a dick in a bucket, then try getting hold of some loctite 660 which is made to take up the gap on poor fitting bearing shafts etc where the bearing has spun.

billyboy
    Free Member

There are a few odd crown race sizes out there. Get the fork crown measured properly and then find the correct headset. If you are going through a shop then Cycle Sport North, Cycle Division or Raliegh might be a good source…. Raliegh's used to use odd sized crown races on a lot of their bikes.
    Otherwise try one of the above bodges…. they sound good if nothing else.

MrSparkle

Cheers all. I will try a couple of those methods. Was thinking about Araldite but I will need to take the race off at some point. I can get Loctite through work so may try that. I might also try your method, Dave!

schmiken

Coke can shim works.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Problem – lower bearing race spinning on fork.’ is closed to new replies.