Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Problem Fitting Chain Rings – Help!
  • hitman
    Free Member

Don't ask me why I'm still building my bike – clue, some companies don't seem to care about supplying you with components on time!! 🙁

Anyway, I'm having some problems fitting the chain rings to the chain ring spider. The problem is that when I try to hold the chainring nut in place, the chain ring nut tool will not hold it tightly enough to prevent it spinning around, when I attempt to fit the bolts . The bolts which fit into the chain ring nuts are supposed to be torqued to 80 lbs! Help! What am I doing wrong??

Hope the above makes sense 🙂

knottie8
    Free Member

are the threads bottoming out before clamping the ring tight ?

jonb
    Free Member

Chainring nut tool is crap? I just use a knife in the slot and threadloc

hitman
    Free Member

not sure – don't think so

pretty certain they're the original chain nut/bolts if that's what you're getting at but might order some new bolts/nuts as just realised chain reaction stock middleburn – doh!!

hitman
    Free Member

new chainring nut tool, or are you saying that all chainring nut tools are crap??

hitman
    Free Member

saying that, threadlock sounds like the answer 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

DO NOT THREADLOCK THE THREADS.

you will never get them undone – trust me – been there done that.

halfbee
    Free Member

Truvativ use 6mm/5mm hex instead of stupid slot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Try loctite 222 if you want to be able to undo them again. It's a very useful grade of thread lock for bike parts.

hitman
    Free Member

I still can't fit these chainrings, 🙁 using the chain ring nut tool but it just keeps slipping. The grooves in the nuts are very shallow which I think is the problem. Any further ideas??
    Seems I'm not the only one to have had this problem:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-345595.html

hitman
    Free Member

btw reluctant to use locktite but may be my last course of action!

tragically1969
    Free Member

what rings are you fitting to what spider, sounds like the bolts are too long to me if they wont nip up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Take out the female nuts, try roughening up the chainring contact points on the nuts with a file. Might help them grip the chainrings a bit better?

jonb
    Free Member

When I say loctite I mean the blue stuff which is possible to break using normal tools but not normal use.

New chainring bolts? they're not that pricey.

hitman
    Free Member

money is not the issue, more the time involve in getting hold of them
    going for lunch now and then will try roughing up the sides, followed by locktite
    cheers guys 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

You should be able to figure out if the female part is too long by seeing if it comes through to the front side of the rings too much, if it is file it down, simples !!

The length of the male one is less critical, just makes it harder to get the tool on properly to tighten the last bit down.

knottie8
    Free Member

if your fitting middleburn rings they are slightly thinner than shimano rings. I have had the bolts be too long using middleburn rings. Grind the female part of the bolt down a bit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Problem Fitting Chain Rings – Help!’ is closed to new replies.