Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • [Probably] numbnuts networking question (two network content)
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Scenario:
    I’m running a temporary (8 week) project at a remote location where I’m installing 3 employees and PCs. They need wireless access to a simple small shared drive which I’ll set up using a USB drive plugged into a [not internet connected] HomeHub.
    These three PCs do not need internet access so this system will work nicely.

I will want access to both STW the interwebz and the shared drive. My internetz access will be supplied by a wired connection to my client’s network [DHCP] while access to the drive will be via wifi.

When I have both wired and wireless connections active I can access the shared drive but my internetz goes down – presumably because the PC thinks it can connect via the wifi (but it can’t because there is no internet connection).

Question:
    Is it possible to have my [wired] internetz and [wifi] network drive connections live at the same time?

My clients have a very serious firewall in place but I don’t want to risk external access to the shared drive.
    I really only need access to the drive a couple of times a day so if need by I can connect to the wifi, get what I want and then disconnect if it keeps things simple.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Question:
    Is it possible to have my [wired] internetz and [wifi] network drive connections live at the same time?

My clients have a very serious firewall in place but I don’t want to risk external access to the shared drive.
    If you don’t know what you are doing find somebody who does. Simple as with security do it right from day one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Need to learn about routing.

You need to define a ‘route’ which is what tells traffic aimed at your network drive (10.something.something.something probably) to be routed via the wireless network adapter, and everything else (i.e. internet traffic) to be routed via the wired network adapter.

brassneck

Admin cmd prompt, ROUTE ADD is what you’ll need to do the above. Just add one to the drive, and set the default to the wired. Can do it in GUI too
    Should be enough

Although if the firewall is as serious as you say, they would not be happy about you connecting to an untrusted network whilst on theirs, regardless of what it is or what it can connect too.

burns2k
    Free Member

Shouldn’t it be sufficient to just remove the default gateway from the DHCP server setup on the HomeHub?

brassneck

Shouldn’t it be sufficient to just remove the default gateway from the DHCP server setup on the HomeHub?

No because its his PC connecting in to that segment that’s got the problem – his PCs IP stack has to determine which gateway to use to correctly send the packet.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

You’re setting up a multihomed system.

Give your wifi adapter a static ip from the range the homehub is using. for example 192.168.1.55 with a subnet 255.255.255.0 Don’t give it a gateway.

As long as your wired connection is on a different ip range you should be ok.

You may have to connect to the shared drive via its ip address \\192.168.1.*
    *=whatever ip address the hub has.

sharkbait
    Free Member

tada…. rossendalelemming has it!

[wired connection is on a different range]
    Simply gave the wireless network a static IP with no gateway or DNS servers and it works a treat.

Ta very much [thumbsup]

molgrips
    Free Member

they would not be happy about you connecting to an untrusted network whilst on theirs, regardless of what it is or what it can connect too.

Ah yes good point. Very much this, if it’s an employer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘[Probably] numbnuts networking question (two network content)’ is closed to new replies.