• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Probably a really stupid Singular Swift setup question – front mech.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I think that Sam may be on his travels and I’ve not be getting the usual rapid and helpful responses from Singular, so I’ll embarrass myself here (not unusual).

I’ll soon be transferring kit, including an ancient 3×9 XT drivetrain, from my old hardtail to a new Singular Swift frame.

I’ve just noticed that the modular cable guides appear to be set up for a rear mech. only; I’ve got a bag of bobbins that I hope will include versions for a front mech. but I’ve also noticed that the Swift doesn’t seem to have the usual cable stop on the seattube to take the front mech. cable.

The Swift can be set up for a front mech. (my bag of bits includes a direct mount adapter) but I don’t know the best way to route the cable from the top tube (zip tie perhaps).

Am I being a total numpty?

core

Some frames now only play with side swing front mechs, cable routing on the downtube.

Not sure if singular have gone this way though.

Toasty

Yeah, mine didn’t come with front mech bits either (or if it did, I didn’t recognise them). It sort of forced my hand a bit to go 1×10, which is a shame.

scotroutes

The Direct Mount front mech doesn’t use a cable stop on the frame – it’s built into the mech.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m not going to get a 3×9 direct mount mech. though am I. Seems odd not to have one on the frame. Can I get some sort of band on cable stop?

scotroutes

I have one right here in front of me.

XT FD-M771 Direct Mount front mech.

Looks like this

Pay me for postage and it’s yours.

PJay
    Free Member

So is there no way I can bodge anything to use my current band on front mech? Could I get some sort of band on cable stop?

It seems odd to need a direct mount mech. but then supply a band on adapter to use one (or am I missing something?).

scotroutes

SJS are bound to have something
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/origin8-clampon-single-frame-cable-stop-black-318-mm/

??

Edit watch for tyre clearance though. Some front mechs have so much going on behind the frame that the tyre can foul it.

boxelder

This any use? Seems to be BB routed to bottom pull mech (ignoring the ‘road pull’ dilemma he’s had)

OCB
    Free Member

Is there a stop under the BB shell?
    I’m sure that’s where it is on my (Mk1) Swift.

Mrs OCB’s last bike had no f-mech fittings / stops, but that was very satisfactorily resolved by using (zip-ties for the cable run, and) one of those band-on stops scotroutes liked to ^ at SJS.

On her bike at least, you wouldn’t know it was there.

(That’s in use with an FD-M781 XT mech & M780 XT cranks)

boxelder

There’s one of scotroutes direct type mechs in the classifieds – Here

PJay
    Free Member

No stops under the BB shell. I think that some versions of the Swift ran the cables down the downtube but the 2016 has them under the top tube (assuming I’ve got adapters to carry 2 cables). It looks as if the direct mount mech is the best option; plan b would be a band on cable stop to use my current mech.

It just seems a bit odd on a frame that prides itself on versatility and shifting options that there’s no cable stop on the seat tube of band on mechs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Probably a really stupid Singular Swift setup question – front mech.’ is closed to new replies.