Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pro-Mtb Access Arguments
  • flipiddy
    Free Member

OK, just looking for a bit singletrack collective advice here. I’m sure there’s some posts archived on the site somewhere, so if anyone can churn up some links then that would be appreciated…

Anyway, I’m writing a letter to the RSPB, who have recently taken on ownership and management of a local forest and decided to curtail biking access.

Has anyone got any links to pro-mtb arguments, i.e. minimal erosion, low impact sort of stuff that might be of use? Otherwise, previous letters that have been sent by people here that have had some sort of successful response singing the praises of mtb would be really useful as it might help with putting together a convincing argument.

Cheers all. Flip.

EDIT – Is the IMBA forum still about? I must be going blind!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

because you want to?

however you dress it up thats what it comes down to and we damage the ground (more or less so than eveyone else)

flipiddy
    Free Member

I can see you’ve written these sorts of letters before! 🙂

Seriously though, Cycling is a ‘green’ mode of transport, is an excellent means of enjoying nature and the local surrounds with minimal impact, whilst providing health benefits at the same time.

If I was a cynical man I might look at it in the way you have described, however, it’s the above arguments I am looking to bolster and put across in a concise and convincing manner.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I suppose it depends whether you’re talking about pootling around or shredding gnarly lines. I’ve been thinking about this lately because I got busted by a gamekeeper yesterday on my favourite local cheeky trail. A lot of people cycle on this path, and it’s obviously that cycling on there does damage to the trail. If people are going to do it anyway then explaining to the landowner the reality of the situation, and offering your labour to help maintain the trail – in exchange for legitimising it – might be the way forward.

Being a member of the IMBA or CTC would strengthen your position. I reckon the RSPB are stingy Bill Oddy types though and will refuse to listen to reason.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Davey – you could be right there mate, but I’m not going to make presumptions about the RSPB…

The area in question has been used for many years by local cyclists until recently – both serious and family recreational riders. It is quite a large piece of land used by comparatively small numbers and significant and visible erosion has never been a problem, so I don’t think that trail maintenance is required, but it’s a good point, thanks.

It’s for these reasons and more that I think there is a valid argument for allowing access again, which is why I want to get in touch.

IMBA is a good call. Now if I could just find that forum! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pro-Mtb Access Arguments’ is closed to new replies.