Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pro 3 wheelset
  • staley
    Free Member

Just wanted some opinions really,

Im looking to buy the hope pro 3 sp wheel set with the crest rims in 24h.

These wheels have a guideline rider weight of 85kg. Im more like 95kg.

Will these wheels be ok for me?

I want to save some weight and these are the wheels for that, but should I go pro 2 with a 32h rim for a bit more security?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I wouldn’t ignore the guideline, you aren’t even close. If I was your weight I’d go 32 spoke Pro 2.

I’m less than 70kg though so I got Pro3s and like them a lot 🙂

staley
    Free Member

Ok guys cheers.

Would be a bit of a waste of money to buy something that wont last.

bigrich

I’m 100 and they are fine after 6 months of racing.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have pro3s, one with a 355 rim and one with a crest.

Get the pro2 for the 32 spokes, at least on the front, for a bit more stiffness – the saving in weight will be offset by the fact you can probably go faster on the wheel which feels more secure in the corners.

I am going to get a pro2 evo with 355 built for the front and relegate my pro3/crest front for mud duties on the hardtail.

I am going for another 355 as the current crest has a larger rim diameter so ordinary tyres seal better, but I like using Maxxis LUST tyres as the sidewalls are more robust than an ordinary tyre, and they are a bugger to put on the crest.

Even my Bonty mud-x are difficult to get on the crest, which isn’t so good if you need to put a tube in on the trail.

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t see the obsession some people have with Crests, if you don’t race then get Arch EXs. Small weight penalty but stronger and better tyre profile, it’s a no brainer…

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s not just about durability (although that would be a concern), it’s also about stiffness. The low spoke count and relatively light rim will make the wheel pretty flexible under a heavy rider (I’m heavy as BTW!) and that will impair the ride quality somewhat. The bike won’t track or corner quite as well.

bigrich

I actually own them, and as perviously stated am 100 kg, and they are plenty stiff on a cotic soul.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I actually own them, and as perviously stated am 100 kg, and they are plenty stiff on a cotic soul.

Sure but the words you’ve missed off on that sentence are ‘for me’ at the end. Everything is relative – to be ‘stiff enough’ they only need to be able to roll in a straight line and go around corners. But that’s not to say that a significantly stiffer wheel wouldn’t give a much improved ride.

I’ve had Rovals before now and while they were stiff and strong enough to last me riding them for 18 months, the minute I went to something a lot stiffer, I benefited from a significant improvement in how the bike handled.

bigrich

I benefited from a significant improvement in how the bike handled.

I have two wheelsets, one pro2 on dt swiss 5.1 freeride rims. Guess what? they handle the same on the singletrack, and roll way faster.

obviously everything is relative, but the last race I did on them was at mt stromlo, and we went down the rock gardens built for the worlds; but then if you are a lean back and straight line gert big rocks type of rider then you shouldn’t be looking at 24 hole race wheels.

however, I only speak from experience, no need to pay me any heed.

geetee1972
    Free Member

however, I only speak from experience, no need to pay me any heed.

No no, I certainly pay heed to anyone who’s riding light wheels and weighs more or less the same as me. I’m a big fan of having the lightest wheels you can and worrying less about the overall weight of the bike as I think it makes a huge difference, so if you’re saying the Pro 3s are working for you, I’m definitely listening.

I’ve had Haven Carbons for getting on for two years and apart from the hub issues and one or two spokes breaking, I’ve loved the lightness and stiffness of them. I really didn’t like the Rovals because they were like noodles, and I’ve never been keen on DT Swiss rims because they’re so soft (for a reason). I have loved No Tubes rims though and the Flows have long been a favourite.

The Havens have a very low spoke count but the tension in them is so high that they build into a very stiff wheel.

Riding style might have a lot to do with preferences as well. I think I tend to lean on the bike pretty hard in turns and yes, I’m carrying decent speed over rocks (Verbier killed the rear Haven in about three hours last year!)

So thanks for the insight. Greatly appreciated.

rossp
    Free Member

I’ve got a set, and never had any problems with them at all, love the feel of the bike with them on.

<shamless plug>If you are interested in pro 3’s on 4.2d’s ive got a set for sale, looking for about £160 including rotors, still got a couple of spare spokes too! </shamless plug>

bigrich

see, the thing about carbon wheels I don’t get is; you can have two or three sets covering the full range of riding conditions for the much less than their retail price.

I got:

saints on 823 on the DH bike
    Pro2 on 5.1D for general ridinering (and they been alped twice)
    pro3 on crest for xc racing

and they came to less than a grand for all of them

add tyres, cassettes and rotors and you still have enough left over for a cx bike.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I only have one bike is the reason and in the UK only need/want one set of wheels. The Havens are amazing; I’ve said this before and I know a lot of people are very put off by both the price and the issues with the hub, but I’d still have them again, even if I as a bit disappointed they didn’t hold up in the Alps. I am still not sure if this is a one off or if I really did just push them too far. They are billed as being able to handle it but there’s a limit to everything. If you’re hitting stuff a DH race speed then it doesn’t matter if you’re only on an AM bike, the wheels are still going to take a hammering.

Like you said it’s just my experience, but the way they ride is a big leap over the Flows I have before. My one bike is sturdily built because of my weight so the light and stiff wheels really make a difference to how it rides, again, only in my experience, but what has surprised me is that everyone who’s tried it has come back saying the same thing. The wheels are incredible.

I did have a DH bike (raced for a few years) but family commitments just make that impossible to do now.

kelvin

I don’t see the obsession some people have with Crests, if you don’t race then get Arch EXs. Small weight penalty but stronger and better tyre profile, it’s a no brainer…

Arch EX and Crests would result in the same tyre profile I suspect.
    Agree on going for Arch EX over Crests though, at least on the rear, the Crests ding pretty easily.

Rod

If you wanted to try it at lower cost/risk, I have a pair of Pro 3 on 355 rims for sale…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I have Sp4-Ams and wouldn’t recomend for thr simple reaosn that you are stuck with buying Hope’s rotors.

If you want ‘SP’ spokes then go Pro2 SP.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pro3 XC6 have 6 bolts so can use normal rotors…

patriotpro
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    Pro3 XC6 have 6 bolts so can use normal rotors…

Didn’t know that – I thought they only did SP3-XC.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pro 3 wheelset’ is closed to new replies.