Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Pro 2 Rear Dis-assembly Fail Help Please
  • RustyMac

I have watched the how to film on Hope’s web site however I am stuck. I get to the part where you use a soft hammer to tap/bash/smack the old axle out but the damn thing won’t budge, all that happens is I damage my mallet I started tap tap tap then worked up through bashing it to full on walloping the thing and nothing it is stuck firm. The bearings seem ok, I just need the old 12mm axle out to put the new 10mm one in.

Any advice on where I am going wrong?

Anyone sent a hub back to Hope to get the axle swapped? How much did it cost?

jordie
    Free Member

it the bench you are using solid ?? i always put the vice on the floor and the start hitting as it is on a soild surface.It should just pop out

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You are bashing the axle the right way? 😳

RustyMac

So far i have tried the kitchen work surface, the granite hearth in the living room and on the floor in the bedroom just so my neighbor down stairs doesn’t think i am discriminating when making a racket in my flat.

RustyMac

currently battering from drive side hopefully to come out at disk side as per the video

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

heat the hub up! tie a rag round it and pour boiling water over it

brakes
    Free Member

use a bigger hammer

jordie
    Free Member

try hitting it the other way is it placed over a hole like two pieces of wood so all the hiting force is going through the hub not holding it.The heat trick as above +1

RustyMac

Boiling water = fail, no change

this is the biggest mallet i have 😥

alpinestar
    Free Member

nip it the bike shop. they will have the correct part to put inside to whack the axle out. you can buy the correct kit but its around £20. you will be pissed if you chip the hub when whacking it.

alpinestar
    Free Member

Northwind

I apologise in advance for insulting your intelligence here, but you never know… When you’re whacking the axle, is the other end of the axle on the bench or is it clear and able to move?

alpinestar
    Free Member

new axles are around £12. new bearings are around £22 and postage and labour with insurance will be around £20 to so expensive dude. follow the vid i posted for you. silly question but when you try to bash the axle out you have something underneath the hub so the axle can tap out and isnt just hitting the floor dont you. this could explain the prob. lol.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

EDIT typing at same time as Northwind. Pardon the repetition.

Could you post a picture of your ‘set up’? Pardon if your intelligence is insulted, but are you sure that you aren’t just hammering the axle against the floor/worktop?

RustyMac

I have the hub balenced on a thick walled bit of aluminium tube 30mm tall supporting it round the disk mount which should mean all force i am hitting it with should be going through the axle. To hit it the other way i would need to put somethin in where the end cap goes and i’d be hitting aginst the face of a bearing which doesn’t look right.

alpinestar you are right, i would be hacked off if i damage it but i don’t know if the lbs will have more luck it seems pretty stuck.

Anyone sent one back to hope?

jordie
    Free Member

oops i just watched the video and i have been knocking the bearings out the wrong way

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you’re certain that the axle is not impeded in any way, and in the absence of a suitably large vice, the only thing you can do is hit it harder – that’s all they’ll do at a shop. Can you get somebody trusting to hold the hub while you get a good swing at it?

RustyMac

Watched that video 10 times now tonight, 1 min 20 in damn him he makes it look so simple. AARGH

Have a pic on my memory stick how do i get it on here?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Get it hosted online (Flickr or something) then link to it using the IMG code.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are really belting the end of the axle put a bolt or similar in the end to protect it so you don’t damage it

RustyMac

now have the pic on flikr what do i do to get it on here?

RustyMac

pro 2 hub by RussellMacnamara, on Flickr

RustyMac

sorry that the pic is on it’s side but you’ll all just have to pick up your laptops and turn them to see it the correct way.

The bit of aluminium at the bottom is hollow and i’ve been smacking hell out of the axle poking out the top as per the video and nothing

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve not had the 12mm axle version. Is it possible that the thick part of the axle we can see has a lip and rests on the drive side bearing?

In which case, you’d only be able to drift it from the other side?

jordie
    Free Member

try a block of wood over the end and a metal heavier hammer and smack it

coatesy
    Free Member

Was just about to say use a proper hammer, just wasting your time with a rubber one. Put a bolt in the end to protect it as often wood will just absorb the impact, just like the rubber mallet does.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’ve not had the 12mm axle version. Is it possible that the thick part of the axle we can see has a lip and rests on the drive side bearing?

It’s only the ID that differs from other Pro II axles.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s only the ID that differs from other Pro II axles

In that case, he’s being a girl pants with the hammer.

😈

jordie
    Free Member

lol @ scienceofficer

enfht
    Free Member

Go outside leaving your front door open, walk to the end of the road, turn around, run towards the axle as fast as you can and whack it like your life depends on it. Screaming as loud as you can throughout may even help.

Let me know how you get on 8)

HTH

RustyMac

Real hammer not a rubber one and some life treatening blows and i now have this

pro 2 in more bits by RussellMacnamara, on Flickr

Thank god my neighbour down stairs is deaf or he’d have killed me by now.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was right!

RustyMac

right then scienceofficer i’ll accept being a girly pants if you can tell me how to get that bearing off?

there is no lip to hit like on the video as on the 12mm hub there is a larger adapter held in place by a cir clip like the 20mm front hub.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Turn upside down in vice with bearing on top. Hit through on the axle and bearing will pop off top. This is all much easier with the tools. Can be pretty easy to cause some damage so take it easy putting it back together. Watch a few videos make sure you put it all back in in the right order

Smarty
    Free Member

I noticed another fail, it’s not a pro 2 hub.

Looks like a bulb to me, it’s defo a bulb 12mm thro’ axle.

jordie
    Free Member

another STW happy ending 😆

Smarty
    Free Member

Rusty mac lets have a look at the 10mm axle that you are wanting to put in. I think you’ll find that if you have a 10mm thro’ pro2 axle that it won’t work. different dia for the freehub for a start.

RustyMac

confused now, freehub seems fine however the bearing mounting points seems different the axle is larger so the id of the current bearings is too small

RustyMac

After looking at the exploded views on hopetech it does look like a bulb hub. arse.

Smarty
    Free Member

Rusty Mac,
    Yes you have a BULB there, that’s what I was trying to say 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Pro 2 Rear Dis-assembly Fail Help Please’ is closed to new replies.