Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Private van ownerstrackworld? VED (road tax) content
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

is there any way to register it as non commercial and pay VED like normal cars emission based thingy? I only use my van to carry my bikes 😐

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I’d be interested if there was, as I’m in the same boat, but I’m pretty sure that there isn’t.
    I took some rubbish down to my local tip, the other week, and got told I couldn’t get rid of it as I need a permit for a commercial vehicle. I did tell them it was a private vehicle but they insisted it was a commercial vehicle. I did think about explaining the meaning of the word ‘commerce’, but I didn’t think it would do me any good!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not sure but I’d guess doubtful unless you fit windows and seats.

I only use my van to carry my bikes

It’s still a van though isn’t it.

Is VED more expensive as a van?

BeardedDave
    Free Member

£225 (a year) flat rate for all vans, if I remember correctly.

sharkbait
    Free Member

HMRC van definition:

A goods vehicle is defined as a vehicle of a construction primarily suited for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description (excludes people). The test is of construction, not use.

VED will be decided the same way. So your answer is no.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

not the point. but the same engine 1.6hdi they put in a car got like £60 ish VED (iirc)…and when they put it in a van suddenly it could cause annihilation of polar bears and their homes… at least the penguins can live in madagascar thank god!, or I will be responsible for them too 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Try a week using the bloody Severn Crossing – paying nearly £13 quid to cross in Berlingo van that struggles its way across in a strong wind while the fellow alongside in the Q7 pays half that. 😡

(But in answer to the OP, ‘fraid not. It’s a van what’s a van that’s a van.)

Stainypants

Try owning by caravelle 500 road tax, even though identical ones built the year before and after are 225 but I still get charged as a van onmthe m6 toll egen though it’s classed as people carrier.

Love it though

jairaj

I’ve been looking into this as I want to get a van for the bikes too. Looks like the only way to get cheaper VED and insurance is to convert it to a camper van and get it reclassified.

I think you need a bed, table, cooking facilities and a window as a bare minimum. Look into the costs of doing a super cheap ghetto conversion just to get it reclassified.

breadcrumb

I was looking at Berlingo/Partner cars for this reason. Just pull the rear seats out. Bonus having a tailgate rather than doors too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Odd. If you guys had been talking about avoiding income tax you’d have been flamed to hell by now. But half of STW owns a van I guess…. 🙂

P20

My old Octavia 4×4 was £200, so the vivaro at £225 wasn’t that big a change

jerseychaz

I’ve been looking into this as I want to get a van for the bikes too. Looks like the only way to get cheaper VED and insurance is to convert it to a camper van and get it reclassified.

I think you need a bed, table, cooking facilities and a window as a bare minimum. Look into the costs of doing a super cheap ghetto conversion just to get it reclassified

My Motorhome on a Peugeot Boxer chassis is £225 – flat rate so check first….

spooky_b329

I’m very happy with my £225 VED – if it was based on CO2 emissions I reckon my puny 2.3l Iveco would be up there in one of the two luxury 4×4 tax bands at £475/£490!!!

thecaptain
    Free Member

As for taking stuff to the tip, you can probably get some certification that your use is non-commercial. That’s what I have done in two different regions. Just takes a spot of form filling.

legend
    Free Member

Local tips here are happy if you tell them it’s stuff from the house and show them a copy of your council tax bill

welshfarmer

My Landrover 110 hardtop is a van on the VED (£230) but crosses the Severn Bridge as a car:-) As do all Land rovers, regardless of body type

footflaps

My local tip is always full of people in vans dumping loads of stuff, which all looks commercial. No one seems to mind.

mark90
    Free Member

At our local tip you can (it seems) dump all manner of commercial waste as long as you take it in an estate car. But you’re not allowed to take household waste in all manner of vehicles including dual cabs / kombis / etc unless you have a permit.

Back OT, in my experince changing a vehicle to a camper van (properly through the DVLA) does not change the VED rate.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not the point. but the same engine 1.6hdi they put in a car got like £60 ish VED (iirc)…and when they put it in a van suddenly it could cause annihilation of polar bears and their homes… at least the penguins can live in madagascar thank god!, or I will be responsible for them too

It’s as much the aerodynamics as anything, a 1.6 viavro/traffic is going to burn more diesel than a 1.6 Clio whther they have the same engine or not.

Put it another way, my (1.6 petrol) focus costs £195 a year to tax and does the same/more mpg as a T5 sized van, so that’s the best you’d be aiming for.

scotroutes

There are so many “lifestyle” vans round here that the guys at the tip take no notice whatsoever.

In Edinburgh, they’d make me go on the weighbridge and then take my postcode. Never got charged, I guess it was just to make sure I wasn’t taking the piss.

scotroutes

My Trafic van probably gets better fuel consumption than a Trafic camper though. Same aero, less weight.

And while we’re on it, if it was the minibus variant, higher speed limits would apply too.

Just don’t expect logic to apply 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Convert it all you want, It won’t alter the VED. this is defined when 1st registered and it won’t alter if you convert to a camper/motorhome.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

It’s as much the aerodynamics as anything, a 1.6 viavro/traffic is going to burn more diesel than a 1.6 Clio whther they have the same engine or not.

Put it another way, my (1.6 petrol) focus costs £195 a year to tax and does the same/more mpg as a T5 sized van, so that’s the best you’d be aiming for.

talking about aerodynamics and you are not comparing apples to apples, innit?

citroen berlingo van 2014 1.6hdi 75bhp VED £225
    citroen berlingo car 2008-onwards 1.6hdi VT 73bhp VED £130
    (not perfect like for like, but closest and van would be lighter)

public tip in my area, I have to book if I use a van and only allowed 2x a year (iirc)

maccruiskeen

My local tip is always full of people in vans dumping loads of stuff, which all looks commercial. No one seems to mind.

You need to book ahead if its a van – they’re ok if they know who you are and what you’re bringing. If its recyclable then alls good – if its not then those vans are probably paying upwards of £100 a visit for the privilege. I have to pay £120/ton but a minimum of £100 no matter how little I bring. (Its still cheaper than a skip though)

If you’ve not pre-booked and just rock up then no dice.

spooky_b329

My tip doesn’t like vans although I have taken mine once or twice. (its a gamble as normally the height barrier is open but you can’t see it from the entrance, and its one way 🙂

rickmeister

Its a DVLA / Govt decree

This…

Just don’t expect logic to apply

The £500 T5 tax, maybe the difference to £225 is due to a Dpf filter…

jrcondor

VED on Euro 4 / Euro 5 compliant vans up to 3500kg gross is £140 per year…

thomthumb
    Free Member

this is defined when 1st registered

this. Van is the best option (at least for t5) if it’s registered as a passenger vehicle (private owned combi) it’s about double the rate.

mark90
    Free Member

My T5 combi is an M1 passenger vehicle so I pay £285 based on CO2 emissions (maybe the newer vans are higher, £500?) instead of the flat rate of £225 for N1 commercials. Not having to worry about lower speed limits makes it worth while. There is no difference in the emissions between the M1 and N1 variants, both have egr, dpf, etc for the same age of van.

Although every agency class it as a car, vosa, dvla, police, etc the local council and the jobswoths running the local tip class it as a van as it doesn’t have windows all round and only two rows of seats. Yet a mates lwb iveco with less windows, less seats, bigger load area is allowed in as it classed as a camper van.

jrcondor

VED on Euro 4 / Euro 5 compliant vans up to 3500kg gross is £140 per year…

…oops! Only on those registered up to Dec 2010. So, buy a 5 year old van to save yourself a few quid 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Private van ownerstrackworld? VED (road tax) content’ is closed to new replies.