• This topic has 61 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pigyn.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Pricing of that Fox dropper
  • retro83
    Free Member

US prices are $314 for the Factory post, and $264 for the Performance post. Extra remotes come in at $65. UK prices are just in: Kashima Factory post is £339 and the black-shafted (non-Kashime) Performance posts is £299. That includes the lever remote. Some posts are in stock now from Mojo – mojo.co.uk

So after adding 20% VAT to the US price, the Factory post is $376.80, or £258.50. UK price is £339.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fools and their money are easily parted. Soon everyone will have half a cheap suspension fork holding up their saddle.

kimbers

the real giggle is that anyone would be stupid enough to buy the kashima version

elliott-20
    Free Member

Either don’t buy one or get it from the states?

Personally I hate it when this happens but them the breaks.

faustus

They didn’t even make the effort to just make the UK price the same number in dollars like they normally do, but higher!?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That pricing does seem to take the piss. Are Mojo buying them at RRP and shipping them here or something daft?

At that price they’ll be as rare as DOSS were.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Then of course you’ve other import duties to consider. The cost of shipping the things from the US to here, the margin for the distributor so they can pay salaries, the (often notably higher than us) rent and the like, (notably higher than the US) onward shipping costs and so on the margin for the retailer to do the same.

As you rightly point out there is also an element of VAT shown in the UK rates too where as federal and state sales taxes aren’t shown on the US price.

It doesn’t seem so outlandish really.

AlexSimon

kimbers – Member

the real giggle is that anyone would be stupid enough to buy the kashima version Why? – people pay for custom paint all the time – why not pay extra to match forks and shock?
    I wouldn’t, but each to their own.

Saw the price thing coming – same with all Fox stuff.

woodster

US price doesn’t include a remote according to Pinkbike making it $379 before tax if you want the one which shows you have more money than sense.

Northwind

Is the kashima version really just for tarts to colour match?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Is the kashima version really just for tarts to colour match?

According to Pinkbike it apparently offers better sealing… (written in the comments on their first look) but I think that’s the general idea. Luckily I run Pike / Monarch so black is the logical choice.

I think that cable mechanism looks a lot like my KS-Lev though which hasn’t proved overly robust.

Stoner
    Free Member

cycle parts duty is 4%, and is payable on the part and shipping. VAT @ 20% is payable on the price after duty and the shipping.

A UK distributor is not going to be paying $25 to ship them individually, but rather $250 to ship 100.

Furthermore the UK distributor is not buying these at US RRP, but wholesale, otherwise what’s the point of being a distributor?

So, if you want to get it yourself, it’s $264 + $25 p&p from a US online retailer of choice. Converted at £0.69:$1 is £199. Add duty of £8, and VAT of £41.50 and you get to £248.

The world is too small for distributors who charge too much.

andyl
    Free Member

I think you are a bit off.

Going on the Kashima version + a remote (assuming the comment about no remote as standard is correct):

Total customs value (CIF): £262.14
    This is the amount that customs values your import at
    – Duty: £12.32
    – VAT: £54.89
    Total import duty & taxes due: £67.21
    This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
    – Product, shipping & insurance: £262.14
    Total landed cost: £329.35
    This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
    at exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.45 USD

From here: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/203230818/

And that is before you add in anything for shipping and insurance which will also be subject to duty and the handling fee by your courier so the £339 starts to look pretty good I’m afraid. If we could buy them in this country without import and VAT then they would be nice and cheap here too.

Daffy

You think shipping will be £50? I get a price of $33.

jambalaya
    Free Member

French cheese is more durable than Kashima. As for pricing Fox will charge what the market will bear and that willbe dependent more on competitors pricing that pricing in the US.

Daffy

I get to £300 shipped with duty paid. That’s still a £40 saving for doing naff all.

andyl
    Free Member

Who said shipping was £50?

rickon
    Free Member

Fools and their money are easily parted. Soon everyone will have half a cheap suspension fork holding up their saddle.

Yep, those fools, riding their bikes properly and not having to stop to lower their saddle on undulating trails.

Fools I say! Foooooools!

rickon
    Free Member

get to £300 shipped with duty paid. That’s still a £40 saving for doing naff all.

Yeah, but you’re not paying for your staff who work at the importer, or the warehouse costs etc.

No one is gonna force anyone to buy one, you can buy it from the states, or you can buy it at the reduced no RRP price that CRC and others will have it at.

wiggles
    Free Member

Yeah those evil money grabbing distributors that will be sorting all the warranty claims and having to stock all the spare parts everyone needs, why should anyone make money on anything…

pigyn
    Free Member

You guys are weird. A B1 Reverb is £399 UK RRP, Fox bring out a hopefully more reliable contender for £299 and you shit all over it?

andyl
    Free Member

Daffy – Member
    I get to £300 shipped with duty paid. That’s still a £40 saving for doing naff all.

eh?

Kashima post: $314
    Remote: $65
    Shipping: lets say $33 as per your calculation
    Total: $412

According to Google that is £283.10 today.

Duty @ 4.7% = £13.31
    New total = £296.41

VAT @ 20% = £59.28

New total = £355.69

Add to that you might not be getting quite so good an exchange rate from your bank and be charged a foreign currency fee, or if paying through paypal you will be getting hit with their exchange rate. Also add the handling fee by the courier (£8-15).

vinnyeh

And why is the margin (both % and actual pounds) larger on the cheaper Performance post than on the (as Kimber says) rather pointless Kashima number?

Gotama
    Free Member

i don’t see the issue with pricing, isn’t it the same as a lev? US pricing cheaper shocker. I recall pinkbike saying the doss was by far the most reliable post out there, gravity dropper excluded. Hopefully they’ll carry that into this post. That said I suspect my money will be going to magura.

retro83
    Free Member

Gotama – Member
    i don’t see the issue with pricing, isn’t it the same as a lev? US pricing cheaper shocker. I recall pinkbike saying the doss was by far the most reliable post out there, gravity dropper excluded. Hopefully they’ll carry that into this post. That said I suspect my money will be going to magura.

Think you’re missing the point.

Some examples:

Macbook 256GB silver
    US Price
    $1299 (excl. tax)
    $1558.80 (Adding 20% for VAT) === £1070.75
    UK Price: £1049 (incl. VAT)

So roughly the same price, £30 difference.

RS Reverb 125mm
    $400 in US (excl. tax)
    $480 in US (Adding 20% for VAT) === £329.73
    UK Price: £295 (incl. VAT)

Again, only £25 difference.

Yet Fox are pricing this at…
    $314 (excl. tax)
    $376.80 (Adding 20% for VAT) === £258.84 (incl. VAT).
    UK Price: £339

So that’s a whopping £80 difference!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

All a bit redundant and quaint though, isn’t it? CRC/Wiggle/German/French mail order houses will be grey importing and selling for a fraction of the rrp, won’t they? Remember the original rrp for Reverbs? 250 quid or thereabouts? Mine cost 150 quid retail packed with bleed kit, enduro collar and warranty.

RRPs are increasingly meaningless, the multi layered distribution model increasingly archaic: even Shimano, Trek etc have realised and are trying to move with the times.

milky1980
    Free Member

£300 for a dropper post that doesn’t break every 6 months? Bargain in my eyes!!

Completely fed up of my Reverbs, the Stealth one is on it’s 2nd incarnation in 18 months (with the second poorly) and the external one on the other bike is on it’s 3rd incarnation within 16 months and the current one has a fair amount of rotational play they refused to warranty.

If the initial reports on the new Fox one are good I’ll have a word with the LBS about getting two and selling the Reverbs on.

Superficial
    Free Member

I searched for the name of this dropper post to come and have a moan. It turns out this didn’t appear in the search because in 20 posts of moaning about this price no one has even mentioned the name.

What a rip off. I think it just shows that Fox don’t really care about the UK market. I guess they’re happy with us Brits all using Reverbs. Which is fine, because they’re a great product. I assume better than the Fox.

MSP

Mojo are probably one of the best distributors around though, IMO it is worth paying a bit extra on top to know it has gone through the proper channels to get that backup and service, especially for goods that are in a high risk area to need that service as dropper posts are.

Is the price that different to the revised reverb? Last time I looked it didn’t look to be getting discounted like the original version.

woodster

I’m not complaining about the price just yet. RRPs in the bike market seem to have no correlation to selling prices.

I’m more interested in long term reliability at any rate.

rickon
    Free Member

RS Reverb 125mm
    $400 in US (excl. tax)
    $480 in US (Adding 20% for VAT) === £329.73
    UK Price: £295 (incl. VAT)

Again, only £25 difference.

$314 (excl. tax)

Maybe Fox understand that we in the UK are morons. And if something is cheap, we will think it’s rubbish. But if it’s almost the same price or a bit more than the main competition we’ll all staff ourselves over it. See Yeti, Pivot, Ibis…..

MSP

2016 reverb is £395 rrp

andyl
    Free Member

retro83 – Member

Think you’re missing the point.
    $314 (excl. tax)

So that’s a whopping £80 difference!

No you are missing one big item that keeps getting mentioned but people seem to miss it – the US price of $314 doesnt include the remote. The UK price of £339 does include the remote. There is also import duty.

I am not saying any dropper post is worth £300+, I don’t think they are but if you are going to bitch about pricing then get the comparison right. There may also be sales taxes in the USA depending on state for those buying in the USA which evens things up a bit with our import and VAT additions.

The remote is very shimano’ish with the dimples. Not a surprise but I like it. With the new Fit4 and new shocks my next bike might have to be fully fox. Kashima of course 😉

Northwind

TBH looking at it, I’m surprised they even bothered to release it now- time to get back to the drawing board and get a competitive 170mm (or class-leading 171mm) dropper out there. It’s pretty much a capitulation to Rockshox.

(yes I know lots of people have frames with stupid long seatmasts that can’t take a 170mm dropper. But that’s not a market I’d target personally. “People buying droppers for badly designed frames, or frames that don’t really fit them”)

Still, being Fox, they’ll just increase the stanchion size and declare that to be better.

wrecker
    Free Member

Some idiot will buy one.

Speeder

Are they not warehoused, distributed & warrantied in the US also?
    What proportion of the US or UK price does that equate to? Even if UK costs were double US (unlikely) it’s going to be the difference between $15 and £20, that’s a £10 price difference not the above.
    The odd thing with US prices is local sales tax which we don’t pay but the septics do and it’s not often included in the sticker price. Does anyone know if the US price includes it.

They will most likely be directly shipped to the UK from China rather than make a detour via the US. The rest is Veblen pricing at work.

julzm
    Free Member

Enduro mag has given them a really good write up. They reckon they’re as good as the 9point 8 fall line one which they see as class leading – also not a cheap option. I’ve got the race face licensed version of the fall line and it’s a great piece of kit, easier to fit and maintain than the reverb by far. AND crucially absolutely no side to side play.

If the fox one turns out to be reliable, I’d pay for it. Would need to be convinced of the benefits of the kashima though.

Daffy

It says extra remotes are $65 – thereby implying that it already comes with one as standard.

andyl
    Free Member

Daffy read the pinkbike review.

and bikeradar. Looks like STW should say remotes are $65 extra.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wah way wah… Ether you want one and you pay what they’re after or you won’t.

As others have quiet rightly pointed out, the RRP of probably its biggest rival the Reberb is actually higher, but no one pays that for them.

I’ll bet once the initial excitement dies down it will be +/- 5% the cost of the equivalent from RS, Raceface or whoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Pricing of that Fox dropper’ is closed to new replies.