Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Price Police – the classified section
  • Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I'm fairly new here. While there are some great bargains to be had in the classified area (and I have bought a lot of stuff) there are also some people who seem to be asking for a lot of dosh. ( Wheels which cost £104 on sale for £100… etc)

What is the forum attitude to people posting remarks about this – or links to cheaper suppliers in FS threads?

On another forum where I post frequently this happens all the time and is taken in good spirit – here it doesn't seem to happen at all.

wots the etiquette.

Jamie
    Free Member

What is the forum attitude to people posting remarks about this

Apathy.

IA

Why bother posting? If it's priced too high it won't sell, you just bump their thread posting on it.

If you are interested in buying and its overpriced, by all means post links. E.g "but item X is only £Y here…will you do it for £Z".

IMO.

njee20
    Free Member

You can't bump classified threads, so you can say what you want on them!

Agree though, if it's too expensive, it won't sell!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

IA one possible reason might be that posters on a forum look after each other?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I think it's a bit of a kick in the d**k for the seller…but i'd want to know if I was paying too much and missing a bargain elsewhere.

Aslong as you're polite…or even send an email to the interested party or the seller to say.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IMO it's in the spirit of the forum to post up, but IIRC the rule is that you should not.

hora
    Free Member

Why bother posting? If it's priced too high it won't sell, you just bump their thread posting on it.

…because it'll be reposted non-stop.

I used to do it a few years ago. Learnt my lesson 🙂

Its not kicking a seller – if its in stock and widely available at a close price then the seller might not realise this.

speaker2animals

Have the great and good ever thought of making an offer? Maybe you could say "I see you are asking £x for Y but I can get it new for only a tenner more. Would you accept £x-z?"

What hacks me off in the classifieds on many places and eBay are people who get in touch ask a question then don't even bother to show some manners by coming back and letting you know they are no longer interested.

In the last 2 weeks I have had someone on eBay say they wanted to buy something and ask how they pay. My reply to which has never been replied to. Similarly I had someone ask me for a job lot price on something I have on the classifieds on here last week. Sent em a price with a "or let me know how much you think". Again nowt.

But then why do I expect any manners in this day and age? Long gone with Common Sense and Patience.

nickjb
    Free Member

If they are a regular forum user selling off some stuff from the shed then the advice might be useful. If they are using the classifieds for profit then it doesn't really matter. IMHO post away.

highclimber
    Free Member

I wouldn't mind it if someone pointed our a product I was selling was cheaper new or elsewhere. I personally check with some items to make sure this doesn't happen. some people just don't bother/CBA and hope you don't either.

Post away i'd say and if they get arsey about it then go to the other place!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Price Police – the classified section’ is closed to new replies.