Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Price of Bike parts falling?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Am I a bit slow but witht eh climbing strength of the pound against the dollar and euro (mostly dollar) since January do we think that big mail order companies are now starting to stock parts at the more improved exchange rate. Or is it because sales are down?

scaredypants

bit of a way to go just yet

I suspect it's got more to do with people not being daft enough to pay list for 2009/10 stuff (I'm just using up all my spares)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Point taken – I had a look at historical rates – and were at their lowest end of 08 and beg 09 1.45 or no – now up to 1.6 so make a bit of difference on costs – 2.0 was way above norm in 08 I would say in teh last 10 years.

foxyrider
    Free Member

so at 1.4 something for $100 would be £74 – now $100 equates to £62 – quite a difference I would say – not close to the £50 it would be at 2.0 but make a fiar difference wouldn't you say?

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

Distributors will have bought their stock at least 3 months ago, it takes time for the exchange rate to trickle through. The pound was on a slide for 6 months last year pricing was out of date almost before it was published you just couldn't keep up. Retailers dont phone up a manufacturer and buy half a dozen bits an bobs. Most distributors will go to the big bike shows and buy/plan deliveries for the year. If the exchange rate changes they get stuffed. It's also the tab end of the production year, European manufacturing closes next month then starts making the 2010 kit.

richcc
    Free Member

I think they've realised that they're operating in a market. Price of fuel, steel, £:$ all favourable and no ones got any cash. Down come the prices.

scaredypants

(to foxyrider) well, yes – but doesn't quite explain for me the huge rises (felt like doubling but part of that was loss of discounting as well I think) in rockshox/shimano that we saw this year

I think we're now seeing the return of some discounting

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Is it lower prices, or just shops like Merlin desperate to get rid of old stock and generate some business?

foxyrider
    Free Member

All have a fiar point I'd say – perhaps I have my rose tinted riding specs on now I am leaving work 😉 lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Price of Bike parts falling?’ is closed to new replies.