Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Price down on SC Superlight frame
  • Gilles

Guys, for info, got this message from the SC people:

The Superlight frame is coming down to £899 as a permanent price drop from the end of this month – there will be 2 colours available, black or red and a Float R shock as standard. An RP23 shock upgrade will be available at + £120

We will have all sizes in both colours available by the first week in July.

Now, am I going for it or not, is a big question.

Gilles

Gotama
    Free Member

Just to add to that…..Heckler is coming down to £799 I believe too, presumably because its being superseded by the Butcher/Nickel combo.

Seb_C
    Free Member

Heckler at £799 sounds like a bargain!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

are these actual real genuine real world prices that will actually exist? or STW nonsense?

nuke

With most companies putting their prices up, have to say I'm surprised…hope it is true as a Heckler would be nice.

Vortexracing

I was told at MM by the guy on the SC stand that the heckler would be £800ish. so I guess these are pukka prices.

TBH the Nickel and Butcher at £1300 are a good buy as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bargaineous! I love my Heckler!

Mike
    Free Member

Wow, great prices 😉 Anyone run a Superlight as a trail bike with 120mm forks, or is it a bit steep still?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Mike – Member

Wow, great prices Anyone run a Superlight as a trail bike with 120mm forks, or is it a bit steep still?

was thinking along these lines myself, so would be interested to hear

thatscold
    Free Member

Anyone run a Superlight as a trail bike with 120mm forks, or is it a bit steep still?

The Santa Cruz catalogue says Fork Travel 100-120mm. I was thinking of using my revelations with the travel reducer.

DT78
    Free Member

Pretty sure mbr / mbuk both mentioned the single pivot SC bikes prices would be coming down when they did previews on the butcher/nickel.

An interesting move as up until now they've been pushing out quite pricey 'boutique' frames. With dropping the price down to £800 that is very cheap by full suss standards and moving into a whole different market segment.

I reckon we will be seeing a lot of people on SC bikes

Just compare to oranges single pivot bikes – a 5 frame will cost you £1300.

I think the choice of a heckler for £800 or a 5 for £1300 is a bit of a no brainer.

nuke

Anyone run a Superlight as a trail bike with 120mm forks, or is it a bit steep still?

Ran mine with the old Rev U-Turns…100 to 130. Perfect in my mind although technically slightly more than advised.

Always been a bit contradictory as to what you could put on it…even on the current UK page it says 80-120 in one place and 100-125 in another

http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/models.asp?f=9

Reba U-Turn with Maxle would suit the frame best but rare as hen's teeth to source.

coogan
    Free Member

Single pivot tat.

Seb_C
    Free Member

And isn't the Five up to nearly £1400 for 2011?

benman
    Free Member

Run my superlight with rebas set to 120mm. Still quite steep, but very fast!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dam them!!!!!

I was seriously looking at the £1080 specialized pitch's, this is almost as good value and frame only and less mainteance, it could practicaly be a year round bike! Why do they have to make these decisions so difficult 🙁

thatscold
    Free Member

And isn't the Five up to nearly £1400 for 2011?

That makes the Heckler even more attractive. I've demoed a Five, how does the Heckler ride in comparison?

DT78
    Free Member

£1400! for a 5? Having ridden both there really isn't £600's worth of difference between the frames!

Wonder if any other makes will follow suit and release cheap/budget version full sus frames to get people into the brand? I would be really worried if I was other manufacturers. I think it could be a real interesting turn for the industry.

Anyone know how they SC are making these so much cheaper? Any reduction in the quality of the frame etc…?

EDIT – I've ridden 09 Heckler and an 08 Five and I would say there was very little "real world" difference between them. Don't know about the newer 5 as I think they've slackened it off a bit.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

got the cycle2work here.

tempted to get a boardman fs AND the superlight frame, swap the bits, flog the boardman frame. all in that'd costs < 1300 quid probbaly.

Seb_C
    Free Member

I've ridden a newer Five and it feels VERY slack at low speed but comes alive very quickly as you gain a little pace.

RE: SC pricing – the Superlight is a $899 frame in the US, so the pricing actually makes perfect sense to me.

Gotama
    Free Member

It has thrown another option out there for me too. Tempted by a 5 but when i heard the Heckler would be £600 cheaper it threw the cat among the pigeons. Not sure if the head angle is just a bit too steep for what i want it for though…..having said that Santa Cruz spec them with Lyrics which must slacken it off a fair bit. Anyway, I digress…

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Anyone know how they SC are making these so much cheaper? Any reduction in the quality of the frame etc…?

They're already welded in Taiwan, so presumably they've decided that they've made excessive margins for long enough and are now prepared to make excessive margins only on the 'new' frames?

Admiralable
    Free Member

Bugger! If I'd known this before ordering my new bike for C2W i'd have had a superlight 🙁

jockhaggis
    Free Member

In the US the Superlight is $899 and the Heckler $999. So it would make sense that there would be the same price difference in the UK. i.e. £899 and £999.

Let's hope this is the start of a re-adjustment of the whole market to more sensible prices for everything.

Seb_C
    Free Member

If we were to readjust the market more sensibly then surely a $999 frame should be more like £699?

solar
    Free Member

How does the superlight frame compare with an anthem x frame? Anyone tried both out?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Price down on SC Superlight frame’ is closed to new replies.