Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pretraining for trip to the alps
  • marko75
    Free Member

Looking to go to the alps this summer for some xc and some uplift shenanigans. I feel iffy doing large drops (+3ft) and jumps – should I practice these before I go? or give BPW a look so try and gain some confidence?

banks
    Free Member

Get digging, build the stuff your uncomfortable riding.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Find a drop locally and session it. Even if it’s a loading bay in the town. There must be something. Unfortunately 3′ isn’t big…

maxtorque

The “size” of a drop is really irrelevant, it’s the “landing” that is all important. At low speed, to a flat landing, a 3 foot drop is plenty big enough to ruin your afternoon if you get it wrong!

I’d say book some proper tuition, as that will move your riding skills forwards much faster than you can do on your own, and also, even if you don’t completely “ace” any particular technique on the day (which you won’t!) you still sub consciously take away the right way to do it, and after a bit of practice, things just slot into place 😉

maxtorque

PS, if your profile location “MK” is Milton Keynes, congratulations, you are less than 2km away from the perfect place to practice!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Depends what trails you’re riding, but I’m no good at jumping off drops – there are generally enough trails to avoid the hardcore stuff if its beyond you.

I would have thought practising tight steep switchbacks would have more use out there for “xc”, unless you’re already good with these.

Whereabouts in the Alps are you going?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

You wont find much man made stuff without cchickn runs.

Switchbacks are pretty uncommon on UK trails, but common in Europe outside of bike parks.

Long descents can give you forearm pump and cramp in your hands.

Oh, and you might want to get used to the idea of paying over the odds for very poor beer.

Have fun.

wallop

Uplifted fun doesn’t have to involve massive drops, if you don’t want it to. We use chairlifts to get up high in order to descend the lovely technical footpaths. It all depends where you’re going.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I would have thought practising tight steep switchbacks would have more use out there for “xc”, unless you’re already good with these.

At les arcs last year it was the tight, steep and rocky switchbacks which were the most difficult to ride. I can’t remember many big drop offs at all.

saxabar
    Free Member

Yup, if new to the Alps it’s the steepness and switchbacks that come as a surprise, although you quickly acclimatise (within reason). It’s having the basics drilled that matters (nb I’m far from any riding god), i.e.looking where you want to go, body/bike weight distribution, and feet and pedal position. This far ahead, it’s also worth working on quads and forearms, but this isn’t to say I’ll follow my own good advice 😉

marko75
    Free Member

Yes, woburn is just down the road so will force by self on the jump park rather than the singletrack there!

Thanks for the advice about the thighs and forearms – just how am I supposed to improve my forearm grip 😉

grum
    Free Member

Go to Fort William and loop the tracks there to help deal with forearm pump. ‘The Alps’ is a big place and there is loads of different riding there – where are you headed?

At les arcs last year it was the tight, steep and rocky switchbacks which were the most difficult to ride. I can’t remember many big drop offs at all.

Sorry if this is OT, but were you on a guided trip or DIY in Les Arcs? Marked trails or getting a map out and exploring?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Get over to antur stiniog followed by the revolution bike park followed by a few uplift days on the various tracks with pears cycles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pretraining for trip to the alps’ is closed to new replies.