Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Presta or Schraeder?
  • CHB

I use presta with alu shraeder adapters fitted to every bike I own. Best of both worlds.
    Exactly how ham fisted are some of you lot so "snap" the end off a presta valve? I have had a few valve stems separate from the tube, but you would have to be a determined thicko to snap the screw thread bit.

Northwind

If you're using a pump without a hose, it's not hard to accidentally damage a valve- either by knocking the top off, or by seperating it from the tube. Only ever done it once, while trying to sort a puncture in freezing rain, because I was in a hurry and my hands were frozen- which is exactly when all punctures happen 😉

Schrader, if that's how it's spelled, which I doubt, is to me just obviously the better option. The potential drawbacks are so slim- it needs a fractionally bigger hole, so could weaken some rims, though in practice it doesn't. It's more vulnerable to clogging up with mud, should you for some reason not use a valve cap, but you have to be fairly dim to do that anyway. And it's got a very slight resistance to pumping as the pump stroke has to depress the valve on its spring to open it, which in practice makes no perceptible difference. Oh, and for the roadies, it's less aerodynamic 😛

On the other hand- it's more durable, more reliable, it's a much broader standard, it'll work with every foot pump, car pump and air compressor in the world, you can fit a presta tube if you have to so you have better part availability…

Only reason I use presta is that I've gone tubeless and I'm yet to find a scheader tubeless valve- for whatever reason, presta became the standard for that, even though tubeless is where you're most likely to want to use a compressor. Grr.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can we get this thread to 100+ so I can have cast iron proof of what being a "modern" mountain biker is please.Taa.xxx

aracer
    Free Member

We're coming to a consensus here – Schraeder for the ham-fisted. How exactly is Presta unreliable or non-durable (apart from when attacked with a pump by those unable to cope with mechanical items)? I see your Schraeder disadvantages Northwind, yet none for Presta apart from the supposed reliability ones or for those people who for some strange reason want to use something other than a bike pump on their tyres (to which there's a simple solution anyway).

Northwind

"for some strange reason want to use anything other than a bike pump on their tyres"

Tubeless.

You also ignored the superior compatibility. And didn't give a single reason why you think Presta might be better.

gonefishin
    Free Member

And it's got a very slight resistance to pumping as the pump stroke has to depress the valve on its spring to open it,

How do you think the schreader valves open? Pixie dust?

And didn't give a single reason why you think Presta might be better.

Okay here's one. All one way valves, which is what both presta and schreader are, leak. It's a fact of engineering. Presta valves with their screw down bit help provide a more reliable seal that schreader which rely solely on the pressure to keep the valve closed.

starseven
    Free Member

Presta
    Compatibility, especially since going tubeless.

Northwind

Gonefishin, can you read? I was talking about schraders when I wrote that.

Kahurangi

You can't put the MBUK 'bullet' valve caps on presta.

THREAD CLOSED

aracer
    Free Member

You can't put the MBUK 'bullet' valve caps on presta.

THREAD CLOSED
    Indeed – when you put it like that, presta is clearly the only option.

oink1
    Free Member

Never seen schrader with extended valve stems to fit the deep section on my roadie rims either…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i was referring to schrader valves, no experience of schraeder or schreader!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Gonefishin, can you read? I was talking about schraders when I wrote that.

On the available evidence, it appears "not very well" is the answer to that question.

Northwind

Hey, Gonefishin, reading that again that was needlessly rude of me, apologies- it didn't seem that way when I wrote it for some reason.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

It's a fact of engineering. Presta valves with their screw down bit help provide a more reliable seal that schreader which rely solely on the pressure to keep the valve closed.

in all honesty, have you actually noticed air leaks from schraeder tubes from the valve!?
    last time i used my bike with scraeder valve was in november, since then the BB has siezed as have the rear wheel bearings. the tubes are still as hard as they ever were.

only reason i use any presta tubes is cos of tubeless. i find schraeder (or whoever you spell it) a bit more sturdy and less fiddly with cold fingers.

i'd love it if tubeless rims were sold drilled for schrader i don't see any reason why they aren't!?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Presta or Schraeder?’ is closed to new replies.