Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Presta fitting for compressor air hose?
  • oldtennisshoes

I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a compressor.

Thinking ahead, I’ve heard folk talk of using a track pump head to get the presta attachment.

I’m assuming that you simply swap the schraeder part (hose a connector) of the draper inflator in this picture, for track pump head with hose attached?

Or is there something I’m missing?

TIA

edit – so it looks like this?

nedrapier

you’ve got it. Only issue is if your draper air hose is a bit chunkier than what the track pump head is designed round. A bit of grease and determination will get you there, though.

google “track pump head” and get a presta one that you like the look of. and the price of.

I wouldn’t get a topeak superchuck again. nicely made, but they don’t come off the valve unless there’s no pressure difference between the hose and the valve. Fine if you’ve got the valve stem in, you press the little button it does that for you, but if you’re getting the tyre seated 1st off with no valve stem in, you’ll have to let it all the air of the tyre before you can get the inflator head off the valve. Or yank it and risk compromising the seal.

Cheapy BBB worked better for me.

And actually, you need to cut the schraeder head off what you’ve got anyway, so do that and slide the hose over the valve. Works fine! Get it up and seated with the compressor, then fine tune with the track pump/thumb/pressure gauge if you need.

Worth trying before you recklessly squander £6 on a BBB smarthead.

granny_ring

Just use one of the £1 or so brass connectors

granny_ring
    nedrapier

Just use one of the £1 or so brass connectors

you can end up with quite a constricted airflow if you do that, though. it’s going to kill a lot of the benefit of getting a compressor in the first place.

Will work with some tyres and rims, but they would probably go up with a track pump.

granny_ring

Eh, how’s that constricting the air flow if he’s using a presta valve….?
    Did mine without a hitch.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I did the same thing but used a Topeak brass presta head.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352148422883

I just cut the original connector off and fitted the Topeak one into the end of the cut hose and clamped it with a jubilee clip

Northwind

The presta-schrader adaptors shouldn’t restrict flow, but they are a pain in the arse. That Topeak Superchuck there is a temperamental bastard, I’ve had a bunch of valves it doesn’t work with at all, horrible thing.

My compressor just has a topeak twinhead on it, works a charm

oldtennisshoes

Thanks guys. I’ve got the Joe Blow track pump with the twin head, which I like, so I’ll pick up one of those.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Presta fitting for compressor air hose?’ is closed to new replies.