• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pressure washing a Deck
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

We have moved house and the new house has a deck which needs a lot of TLC.
    I am thinking about pressure washing it and the driveway as well.
    I am going to hire the pressure washer for the weekend and wonder if STW has any tips or advice?

I thank you

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Don't point it at your face.

wwaswas

deck – use one of the brush things on the washer it'll be cleaner and quicker.

driveway – be careful you don't just end up blasting grit and mud over every adjacent vertical surface.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id get a deck hand to swob it if it were you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

point it at the ground aim and fire bit like peeing but longer hose and much more powerful

steve-g
    Free Member

I miss-read deck as duck, and thought you were mocking the degreasing a cat thread.

That is all

theotherjonv

I didn't get good results with just a pressure washer. Have heard good things about the brush attachments though.

As by training I am a detergent development chemist, and can read an ingredient label, rather than use a proprietary deck cleaner at great expense, I used diluted down dishwash detergent (check the label for phosphate or tripolyphosphate) with a couple of capfuls of household bleach chucked in to deal with the algae. And then scrubbed like hell with a softish broom. Then use the p/w on fan to sluice the filth off. Hard work over the course of 2 evenings (6m x 5m deck), but it worked pretty well.

DrP

I got stunning results on ours using a pressure washer.
    I used the 'deck washing' brush for teh most part, but it doesn't actually scrub, it just contains the spray so it just runs away.
    As long as you are patient, and SLOWLY just 'pass' the jet of water methodoligically (sp?) up and down the decking, the crud just peels off!

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

On ours, the pressure washer stripped off most of the old deck stain which was a good thing but there are some stubborn bits left which means that it's now a bit patchy having been re-stained. I'd not pressure wash it again – I'd do it by hand I reckon as it still took ages.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

On ours, the pressure washer stripped off most of the old deck stain which was a good thing but there are some stubborn bits left which means that it's now a bit patchy having been re-stained. I'd not pressure wash it again – I'd do it by hand I reckon as it still took ages.

This coming from a man who hoovers his decking.

clubber
    Free Member

Look, it was quicker than sweeping it! 😉

SiB
    Free Member

I've just used ronseal deck clean with a yard brush and then jet wash – looks brand new. Have noticed in a few places though where the jet was too powerful the top 'layer' of wood has gone a bit 'fluffy' but should be fine once timber care on it as jet washing takes off previous treatments

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pressure washing a Deck’ is closed to new replies.