Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Press-fit BB91 tools?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

My bottom bracket bearings are sounding a bit gritty, so I’m expecting to have to replace them soon. Now I’ve got two bikes with these darned press-fit BBs, I’m willing to invest in the proper tools – BUT don’t fancy paying the inflated prices for the Park ones.

Soooo, anyone know where to get a reasonably priced set of tools for removing & fitting press-fit BB91 bearing cups? Ta.

shortcut

Headset press should do most PF BB’s.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Headset press should do most PF BB’s

Ok, but then don’t you need the specific “fittings” to press on exactly the right bit of the cup so you don’t damage the bearings? And what about getting the old ones out?

eyerideit
    Free Member

Rose do one that’s seems very good value.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Can you not just use a headset removal tool to get them out?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I fitted mine with a headset press, but to prevent the pressure on wrong bit of BB issue, got two 1/2 inch bits of wood with a hole in, and used those to do the press. Worked very neatly.

Not too sure about removal though

iain1775
    Free Member

I fitted mine with a rubber mallet and block of wood
    Removed them with same hamme r and a screwdriver 🙂
    Works

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok, re those removal tools like the one in the picture above – this may be a silly question, but does the cylindrical plastic sleeve (fitted inside the BB to stop water & muck getting to the axle) prevent you getting purchase on the back of the cups to drive em out?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ahhhh, no idea, My bb shell is solid, so don’t [can’t actually] use the sleeve…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hmmm, liking the price of those headset installation and removal tools from Rose, but are they the right size for a bottom bracket? The lip of the BB91 which is the bit the installation tool needs to press on is between 38-44mm, whereas the largest headset seems to be 1 1/4″ which is about 32mm, which would be pressing right on the bearings. Anyone tried a headset tool on a BB91?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Anyone tried a headset tool on a BB91?

Yes, I used mine:

unklehomered
    Free Member

For fitting, just get some bits of wood, so the surface applying pressure is totally flat (also helpful for some headsets). On removal, not sure.

fbk
    Free Member

I made my own removal tool using an old metal tent post, then installed the new on with a vice and a couple if bits of wood. You need to be careful but not That careful.

perthmtb
    Free Member

For those suggesting a block of wood, I thought this was a big no-no, as the inner ‘bearing’ ring is slightly proud of the outer ‘seating’ ring, so if you use a flat surface, the bearings are taking all the force?

Quote from the instructions that came with the new bearing cups “If you push anywhere further in from these points it may damage the ball races of the bearings”, and it has a nice little diagram to illustrate this here

Or am I just over thinking this….

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

to remove I use a headset removal tool, but a 1″ one as the 1″1/8 one I got only goes in half way. There is a little lip inside on the BB for the tool to work.

I did try punch and hammer etc, but after 20mins of tapping one side then the other etc and not getting anywhere I gave up and ordered 1″ headset remover, 2 hits with a hammer and a few mins later BB was out.

As for fitting get Shimano TL-BB12 around £45 I think.
    I did try the old BB on the headset press I got but IMHO would not be the best thing to use, does not fit right, puts pressure on the wrong part of the BB/bearing.

#righttoolsforthejob

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hey MTB Rob, that sounds like the way to go! Can I just ask you to confirm it was a BB91 you used the 1″ headset remover on, not a BB30?

And I see Rose does the Shimano tool for 32 Euro…

Thanks.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok, think I’m there now…

Removal tool and cups to insert – all specifically sized for BB91, and at 48 Euro for a Park tool, not too bad! Looks like all I need to add is a long bolt to tighten the cups against each other.

Cheers all for the help…

iain1775
    Free Member

Ok so what do those two cups do that a pair of large washers, or a block of wood doesn’t?
    As for the instructions, some may say it’s a ploy to get people to buy yet another tool they don’t really need
    Mine pressed in fine using wood and a vice/hammer, runs smoothly, not damaged in any way
    and guess what, I didn’t even have the frame faced 😯

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok so what do those two cups do that a pair of large washers, or a block of wood doesn’t?

Well, I suppose that small lip on the outside edge means you’re pressing on the bearing housing rather than the bearing itself. Whether you can really damage a bearing that way I don’t know…

As for the instructions, some may say it’s a ploy to get people to buy yet another tool they don’t really need

You’ll see from the instructions that Shimano actually suggest using a vice – no mention of a special tool, although they do make one, so I’d give’em the benefit of the doubt its not just a cynical ploy to sell us a new tool.

I didn’t even have the frame faced

As far as I’m aware, you don’t need to face the shell for the press-fit cups, that’s just for the external ones that seat on the outside edge. Probably about the only advantage of press-fit BBs!

Anyway, not saying you can’t do a perfectly good job with home made tools, just that at 50 quid I’m willing to invest in the right tools, as with two bikes and an average life of 2,000kms per BB, it looks like I’ll be doing this job relatively often!

timmys

I’ve no personal experience with them, and am not a fan of their stuff in general, but Superstar do the cheapest tools for press-fit BB’s that I’ve seen;

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=566

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=567

FuzzyWuzzy

I have the Shimano tools, not used them yet and they’re a rip-off for what they are. Removal you’re not trying to save anything so bash away with a screw driver IMO. The fitting tool did come in handy to hold a removal tool on an old-style square taper BB though…

coopersport1
    Free Member

I like tools especially shiny ones! That little Park kit is very reasonably priced for Park under £30 IRC. Agreed the cups to press in are no better than 2 washers and I usually just use the flats of my headset press.
    The little tube though for knocking them out is great though. I’m ham fisted and would likely total the whole frame if I was attacking them with a screw driver to get them out. Try taking your frame back to the LBS for warranty replacement when you’ve obviously written it off by not using the proper tools for the job.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

PerthMTB,
    yes it was a BB91 I used 1″ headset remover on
    I got another tool for BB30 😉

As for the park tool, the “washers” I sure they desgined to work with the Park headset press.

And as for using you own washers I would not bother, unless you find some thick heat treated hardened one, as most just bend and a waste of time IMO.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Press-fit BB91 tools?’ is closed to new replies.