Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Press fit bb86 gxp removal
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

Bb needs replacing so decided to do it myself this time. It’s a bb86 press fit for SRAM gxp cranks. I bought this here

And can’t seem to get it to work at all. Do I need a gxp specific tool (is there such a thing?). The problem I’m having is that the but that’s supposed to slide down the shaft (oh er) and expand doesn’t move when it’s fitted.

There was a QR code on the box which led me to this extremely useful video which just shows a picture of the tool with some lovely jazz. Helpful.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3zm9lm

bitasuite
    Free Member

Can anyone answer this? Not sure if I need to order a new tool or not.

Thanks

Northwind

I use my special bearing tool, the rear spindle from an ’00 Suzuki SV650, it just needed knocking out, nothing very technical

Garry_Lager

Are you taking the whole thing out or just the bearings? You can knock the bearings out with anything pointy.

If you’re taking the whole plastic bb sleeve out to put a new one in, it can sometimes be hard to find the join between the two parts of the bb sleeve so you have an edge to strike against. At least that’s been the case with some pf30s I’ve had – the pf86 looks a similar design. It should be on the non-drive side so have a press around here to try and raise it up. Then lash it rar out of there.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m taking the whole thing out. You’re right – it’s difficult to get in the sleeve.

What I really want to know is if I have the right tool. Will a BB86 remover work with PF86 GXP or do I need something else? I know the Park one will do both, but not sure about this Super B one I’ve bought.

Thanks

Hooter
    Free Member

I bought something similar to this and it worked fine:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-bbt90-bb90-bottom-bracket-bearing-tool/rp-prod142345?gs=1&gclid=CJus3PnYh9ECFZcW0wodRoQB4g&gclsrc=aw.ds

No idea how your tool would work – presumably insert it through the BB shell and into the smaller gxp bearing (if it fits), tighten it up and knock the bearing out? I’d imagine you’d need a specific gxp tool as shimano BB86 bearing would be a different size.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Thanks Hooter. The Park one you link to does both but I think I must have a Shimano specific one. Bugger.

dovebiker

The difference between the Shimano and GXP versions of BB86 is that the SRAM has different sizes of ID between drive and non-drive side i.e. 24/22mm whereas Shimano and all others are only 24mm. No need to for any special tools IME – just something big and round with a reasonable edge to drive against the edge of the bearings. Driving any bearing out by the inner race can damage it, so best replace it anyway.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Job done with a mallet and screwdriver.
    Cheers

JackHammer

Hammer and a big screwdriver did it for me 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Press fit bb86 gxp removal’ is closed to new replies.