Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Press Fit 30 BB's
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Who likes ’em

Who doesn’t

Any why?

keavo
    Free Member

just knocked one out of my spearfish today. not really impressed with the life of the bearings but it was a fairly reasonable bb i suppose. i’m going down the adaptor + shimano bb bearings route (they last a bit longer). mainly because shimano deore and slx chainsets are good and can be had cheap.

rone

keavo – be interested how you get on with that. GFs just got a spearfish and I’ve got my eyes on the BB – and concerned it will turn into a creaky mess when using adapters etc.

AngusWells

Seven months into using a BB30 in a harsh but mud free environment. No problems so far.

Mine has a grub screw fastened collar between the crank and the bearing on the non drive side which I assume is for tightening the bearing if, or when, it starts to become slack. I have had no reason to tighten it yet.

Kuco

Just had the ones in my road bike replaced after 9 months, mainly dry miles. Not impressed.

keavo
    Free Member

i have done a bit of research which suggests it should be quiet. i’ve ordered the sram pressfit bb30 – bsa adaptor unit.

STATO
    Free Member

keavo – be interested how you get on with that. GFs just got a spearfish and I’ve got my eyes on the BB – and concerned it will turn into a creaky mess when using adapters etc.

I use the ‘problem solvers’ BB30 to 24mm axle convertors in my spearfish, with a standard SRAM PFBB30. Initially its a pain to put together, lots of swearing and hammering involved. The first BB i had died quite quickly, the second seems much better and still feels good after a year.

A few companies now make PFBB30 units so your not stuck with just SRAM. Enduro also make them if you dont mind their price. The lack of decent quality well priced BB30 cranks is my main complaint at the moment.

18bikes

we’ve used the SRAM PF30 (and BB30) to BS adaptors with good results – then fit your proven BB of choice.

of course, that wont work with a 30mm axle…

bonesetter
    Free Member

BB life aside, the whole 30mm axle, and bigger bearing/wider shell makes sense to me – stiffer and lighter

amt27
    Free Member

got through 3 in 6 months, see my other posts regarding this and the issues I’ve had,

I was offered another PF30 but the SRAM distributors also offered me a GXP bb with new cranks, using a PF30 to BSA adaptor, which I have taken them up on

Rorschach
    Free Member

Shell is still 68mm.Now 386 evo, that makes more sense.

bonesetter
    Free Member

keavo – Member
    i have done a bit of research which suggests it should be quiet. i’ve ordered the sram pressfit bb30 – bsa adaptor unit.

That’s a plastic cup isn’t it keavo. Is it fixed in any way in the shell?

ssboggy

The PF30 on my Spearfish is still fine after around 9 months but its not my only mtb and i’ve also taken the cranks off a couple of times and cleaned all the gunk out of the seals and regreased it

keavo
    Free Member

looks a bit like the sram pressfit bb30 but with no bearings and threads. i’ll let you know when it arrives, probably next week.

ssboggy

Is it fixed in any way in the shell?

They press in like the PF30 bb but you need to use a HT2 bb fitted into it as the cranks ultimately hold it in. If you use a square taper or ISIS there is nothing to stop the cups coming apart. Also mane sure you fit the bearing to the adapters before fitting to the frame.

keavo
    Free Member

good, thats exactly what i’m expecting. i’m confident it will be quiet, the sram bb i’ve just knocked out was quiet.

keavo
    Free Member

update: all fitted, easy to do. been quiet so far. i now have an slx triple with shimano bearings on the spearfish (designed for press fit bb30)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Press Fit 30 BB's’ is closed to new replies.