Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Preseli Hills – West to East or East to West?
  • franki
    Free Member

Hi,
    Never ridden this area before but will be there soon, so would like to know the most satisfying direction to ride the main bridleway across the Preseli Hills, West to East or East to West?
    Any ideas? Looking for the most rideable direction. (Maybe it all is both ways – I don’t know!)

lister

The highest point (Foel Cwmcerwyn) is at the west end, just above Rosebush.
    I’ve ridden the hills in a variety of ways over the years.
    If you start at Rosebush then you have a bit of a slog, either through the (mostly felled) forest tracks or up the bridleway and cheeky path to the very top.
    From there you’ve got big downs and steep, short ups all along to the east until you run out of bridleway near Crymych.
    Turning round and riding back off road would be fairly shite, I’ve usually slogged back along the road to Rosebush. The bonus of finishing there is Tafarn Sinc and it’s lovely beer.
    You could park at the east end and either road to Rosebush or off road it all the way before turning round. But you don’t end at the pub!
    Or be really lazy and do a shuttle with 2 cars to avoid the slog.

It will be very, VERY wet up there. Whole wheel swallowing bogs in places.

It’s not the greatest ride in the UK but you won’t see many people and the views on a clear day are amazing. Gower, western Beacons, N Wales mountains and Ireland!

Enjoy!

rocketman
    Free Member

lister has prob ridden it more times than I have but I prefer the Rosebush start mainly because the ascent is on forest tracks followed by the openess of the hills. For my sins I generally turn round at the end and ride back althouhg I have country laned it a couple of times

It is indeed apocalyptically wet in the finest Welsh bog/swamp way

franki
    Free Member

Thanks for that guys.
    I know it’s not the best area for off-road biking & tbh I will be on a Gravel / CX bike so I can enjoy the lanes more.
    As I’m going to be there anyway I thought it might be worth checking the Preseli Hills out. I wonder if I should just include the forest section in an otherwise road only ride?

lister

A loop of the (ex) forest would be good, or you could get into the top of the forest from east of the B4329 at it’s highest point – there is a little carpark there.
    A lap of Llys Y Fran would be quite nice on your CX bike.
    Nice green lane and bridleway exploring over towards Strumble Head that is nice on that sort of bike. But not the coast path. No. That would be bad. Very bad. 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

There’s trail plans in the pipeline.. Not sure on the exact details or when construction is starting.. but there’s a planned trail from llys y Fran – rosebush area.
    Pretty sure there’s also a virtual tour of the coast path now to check the parts you shouldn’t be riding…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Preseli Hills – West to East or East to West?’ is closed to new replies.