• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Prescription riding glasses?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Anyone got any advice on decent prescription mtb glasses? Have seen Adidas versions which have an insert which you can change without ditching the glasses as well if your eyes deteriorate. Any thoughts? Other thoughts?

hugor
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at this too – for me night riding is the main problem.
    Oakley do some good ones too but you obviously pay alot for them.

oreetmon
    Free Member

try wearing your normal glasses under clear goggles,works for me (and much cheaper)

dickydownes
    Free Member

Wearing goggles – could probably only get away with that under cover of darkness!! My experience normally is that they fog up, and too warm in summer.

AD

Adidas ones are ok – I use mine with clear lenses for night riding or yellow lenses for grey days. They don’t look that great though… Depends how vain you are 🙂
    I have a set of Oakley Fives with prescription lenses for sunny days. My local optician fitted the lenses to these which was considerably cheaper than going direct to Oakley.

dickydownes
    Free Member

What sort of money did you shell out on the Oakleys? Used to have a pair of those from Vision Express but they were expensive.

JonBurns
    Free Member

I ride with Oakley prescription jawbones. Got them 18 months ago from extreme eyewear in castleford (and online). I got them with grey transitions lenses which are good enough for night riding and also Spain, France, whistler and the peak district. Think they were about £240 which for a bloke from yorkshire is mighty expensive. That said never had a problem with them and no more faffing with contacts if I want a bike ride. They do fog up though but then I’ve never had a pair of glasses for riding that don’t.

dickydownes
    Free Member

For an honorary Yorkshire man that is expensive but you pay twice as much as that for normal glasses so it’s not that bad really.

AD

I bought the Fives at list price at the time (from memory ~£80) and the local optician fitted lenses for ~£40. Admittedly this was about 3 years ago.
    Same optician (Bruce Avery in Cockermouth) also sold me the Adidas glasses and lenses so in fairness he might have been cutting me a bit of a deal for the repeat custom.
    Again at the time I think the equivalent set up from an official Oakley dealer was around £200 – though of course I don’t have the ‘special’ Oakley optics…

coatesy
    Free Member

Been using Oakley M-frames for more years than I care to remember, at one time they had a problem with the shield cracking alongside the nosepiece(cured now), and despite being well out of warranty, there was a no-quibble replacement on it’s way asap every time, post free too.Also had New Frogskins break at about 8 years old, replaced at trade cost, think it’s service like that that makes it worth paying the extra for.

Pete
    Free Member

I use glasses from Optilabs, they made me up a varifocal set..

Home

IHN

Another vote for Optilabs, I’ve had a pair with transitions lenses for a few years now, used them for everything from skiing to night-riding.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Prescription riding glasses?’ is closed to new replies.