Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • prescription glassex for biking
  • paladin

Anyone got any recommendations? I destroyed a pair of normal specs last time I came off my bike and landed on my head. Will be a while before I get back on my bike, but when I do I’d like to see where I’m going.

mrmo
    Free Member

can you use contacts?

whats your budget?

you can destroy most things in a crash.

paladin

Hmm, contacts might be the way to go, I’ve never tried them though. Never fancied the idea of poking a finger in my eye. I wasn’t planning on spending a lot on them, was considering wearing my work prescription safety glasses, but they make me look more of an idiot than I normally do…
    Don’t know how I managed to destroy my glasses without having a mark on my face :mrgreen:

routier
    Free Member

Have a chat with Mike here http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/

z1ppy

it happens.. I tend to use my 2nd set of normal glasses (reglazed cheaply locally), but have some cheap and cheerful wrap round sport glasses from a local optician for those sunny days.
    Lots of options really, you could just buy some cheap sunglasses & have them re-glazed or go for the likes of

http://www.optilabs.com/
    http://www.rudyproject.com/
    http://uk.oakley.com/store/prescription

depends on how deep your pockets are

stufive
    Free Member

Our local opticions do prescription oaklys too expensive though

damitamit
    Free Member

I used to use some cheap BBB frames with lenses glazed by Optilabs. Worked fine for years. These but didn’t use the prescription insert. http://www.cyclesdirect.net/bbb-powerview-2-glasses-crystal-silver-black-frame-blue-revo-lens-for-bike.html

Now I’m got some Oakleys. Worth the money if you’re using them lots!

Northwind

paladin – Member

Hmm, contacts might be the way to go, I’ve never tried them though. Never fancied the idea of poking a finger in my eye

Nobody does! Worth it though, it’s the best way for cycling IMO. You’d still want to wear protective glasses though. I had a pretty grim time getting used to contacts at first but so glad I stuck with it.

paladin

Cheers all, think I’ll look into contact lenses, they’d be handier for work too. Failing that, Oakley’s look good. Don’t really intend to be crashing like that again, can’t afford it 😳

wl
    Free Member

I tried riding in my regular specs recently (I only wear them occasionally, for TV and driving) but it made me feel pissed and I rode like a 5-year-old: really messed with my spacial awareness and balance. Anyone know what this is about? Would proper prescription wraparounds make a difference, or are contacts a better bet? I’m guessing protective glasses are essential with contacts to avoid the agony of mud behind the lens.

BillOddie

I dropped A LOT of money on a set of Oakley Jawbone (they are called Racing jackets now) Prescription Riding glasses with Transitions lenses.

And you know what I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I have used Rudy Project glasses with Inserts and they were OK but direct glazed is defo much better!

LMT
    Free Member

I also paid over the odds for some Oakley Half jackets, transition lenses, and tbh they are the best biking glasses ive ever had, can’t fault them. Even brought some cheap ones at the airport when going on hols, ditched the plain lenses and pushed my perscription ones in, i can co-ordinate different coloured frames.

flashes
    Free Member

I got some cheapo glasses from spec saver / boots when they had a 2nd pair free offer. So posh glasses for seeing and cheapo ones for headbutting trees, sheep, fences, gates, bushes, etc……

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve been using disposable contacts this year. Work really well, not had any problems with discomfort or “eye poking”.

So I can then wear my normal (non-prescription) riding glasses or sunglasses depending on the light.

And you don’t get that edge of frame thing that you can get with prescription specs, which I think might be the “pissed” thing mentioned above.

And Oakleys only go to a certain prescription and one of my eyes needs stronger than that.

samuri
    Free Member

Optilabs were great for me.

However, the whole prescription riding glasses thing doesn’t work to well for people with a strong prescription. You go into a cafe and you have to take your riding glasses off, now you’re holding the menu two inches from your nose.

So I finally found some contacts that get reasonably close to my prescription which I tend to wear in summer with some ultra-cool normal riding glasses that make me look like an insect. the rest of the time I just wear an old pair of glasses.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I’ve got some Oakley prescription Eye Jackets from these guys http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/

Cost a lot (~£235), but would I wouldn’t be without then. Depends on how stable your prescription is, but I find that I don’t need to change my cycling glasses as often as I get new regular glasses. I can handle the prescription being a little out on them – so the cost doesn’t seem so bad since I’m keeping my latest ones for 5+ years (so far)

If you want different lenses for different light conditions (I have Fire Iridium and Perssimon) then the cost does rack up.

Beagleboy

I’ve got a pair of sports glasses from Specsavers. They look like bog standard riding glasses (three replaceable lenses), but have a clip in prescription insert. I’ve been using them for about a year now and think they’re great. Living in Stirlingshire, I still haven’t figured out what the dark black lens is for though. 😛

duffmiver
    Free Member

i started wearing disposable contacts and cheap riding glasses for an alps trip last year. definitely the best way i think.

Marko

@routier

Thanks for that – I had a chat with Mike and he talked me through the options. A pair of frames (without the prescription lenses) are on the way for me to try.

Do you know him well enough for me to name drop and blag some discount?

Ta
    Marko

Front Page

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘prescription glassex for biking’ is closed to new replies.