Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Prescription glasses with some wrap around.
  • Wally

Looked at contacts – £500 a year, every year!
    Alternative is some “funky” style ones which wrap around more. Anybody gone down this route of buying glasses for everyday wear and which work for cycling – at a push?

Rio

I’ve got some prescription Oakley Whispers with photochromic lenses that I used to use for everything, but also now use disposable contact lenses, “normal” glasses or prescription sunglasses 8) depending on what I’m doing. When the lenses are clear the Whispers have a bit of a Heston-Blumenthal look which is probably inevitable if you want some wrap-around.

RichPenny
    Free Member

No, have special ones from Optilabs for riding which are brilliant. I have -8 prescription though so am somewhat limited on choice.

jam-bo

£500 a year?

£18 a month here and it can be done cheaper. Worth every penny to not wear glasses 95% of the time.

Wally

Got an astigmatism, with colour blindness thrown in. Top genes.
    all seem about £500 for the year.

redthunder
    Free Member

I just wear an over spec. Quite cheap but a tad Roy Orbinson.

poly
    Free Member

i’ve never found astigmatic contacts comfortable – my plan was only to wear them the days i ride – which would have made them more affordable. i just wear my ordinary glasses 95% of the time when biking. i do also have a pair of addidas wrap arounds with a prescription insert. they werent particularly cheap.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Just bought a set of Nike sunglasses from Specsavers on their 2 for 1 offer (due for delivery on 9th May). My other pair are not tinted for day to day use (you have to pay extra for tint on the first pair), but you don’t pay extra for the tint on the second pair. Total cost £125 + eye test at £20 (you might be able to get this free with a voucher – I didn’t have one to hand when I went in).

I also have astigmatism & looked at buying contacts online & some regular sunglasses, but found the online places only do lenses in a limited range of prescription options (basically I couldn’t match my prescription online). According to the optician I would have had to have lenses specifically made to my prescription (though I might treat this with a little scepticism as they stand to benefit from me ordering the lenses through them)

Wally
    cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

The ones on the website are not the same ones as I’ve bought – they had much more selection in the branch I went to (the ones I went for came in a black, brown or deep blue frame) – I reckon I had about 15 different styles of Nike ones to choose from. You get to choose the colour of the tint also – so I went for the deep blue frame with the ‘smoke’ tint (the other choices were a green or redish tint).

burt
    Free Member

i got some nike ones as well, they are the best thing i have bought for cycling in the last 3 years. i can see where i’m going now.

millcar
    Free Member

I got some from Optilabs too following recommendations from here. They are very good indeed. I too have astigmatism, mine are wrap around, Cobra i think.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Prescription glasses with some wrap around.’ is closed to new replies.