Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • pre-teen teachers/parents
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m after some help. I currently teach cyber awareness to adults, however I’ve had a presentation dropped onto me with naff all info. I’ve been asked to present cyber awareness to 10-13 year olds.

My eldest is 5 so I’m not too sure as to what stuff is the norm with regards to their net usage. I’ve guessed at: Minecraft, team chat, ask.FM, Facebook. Am I barking up the right tree??

thegreatape
    Free Member

Possibly aimed a little low there?

ollybus
    Free Member

Clash of clans is big amongst the yoot round here

Edukator
    Free Member

By 13 junior’s browsing history was a step beyond my own tastes. Where it is now I don’t know as he’s discovered private browsing (which is better than finding my computer’s history wiped in an attempt to cover the paper trail). I’ve asked him to keep it to sites with over 18s as I don’t wish to get arrested. Kids are curious and will click on anything.

Cowman

I use a lot of the ceop materials to help out. Look there and see. Especially their YouTube page.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Not too sure we are on the same wave length…..”cyber awareness” could mean a number of things but have you typed “ceop” into Youtube?

Definitely a good place to start. All age appropriate and backed up by CEOP’s own website.

That the kinda thing your looking for?

Also check out the the Resources on the TES website. I seem to remember there was a KS3/4 workbook that I used ages ago….. Lots of great info in it and lots of great little quizzes to do.

Hope that helps.

slackalice
    Free Member

Our 11year old boy has seemingly fubarred his laptop with clicking on anything that pops up and is now so infested courtesy of Trovit and all its friends, that even trying to download malware is impossible. He apparently disabled AVG as the scan was slowing it down. We can’t even get onto AVG, McAfee or even Google without it redirecting to an Adobe labelled ‘update’.

I’ve even tried to do a search and delete in the registry to no avail. We’re now at the point of reckoning the only way out is to format the HDD and start all over. Except the Win 7 install discs can no longer be found…

May I suggest including a little on the ‘if it sounds too good to be true, don’t click on it?!’ 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers. Adults are easy as we scare the shit out of them with the stuff we teach 😀 I’ve never delivered to this age range ever!! It’s only for 45mins, however I want them to actually take something away.

onehundredthidiot

Snapchat

Most parents will be in the dark over what the yoof are up to.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had that on my list, but thanks for the input.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My 10 and 13 year old boys spend a lot of their time watching youtube videos of other people playing Minecraft or Clash of Clans. Seems dull as dish water to me but then I’m not as cool as the yoof of today!

bensales
    Free Member

A bit of focus on personal info protection wouldn’t go amiss. Emphasise never telling people your full name, where you live, DOB etc.

Don’t click on things if you don’t know what they do.

No-one on the internet is your friend unless you know them in ‘real life’, and even then, be cautious.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Got all the usual don’t click etc…. It was more their web surfing behaviour and games/app usage I was interested in as I have no idea lol. Luckily, I have had some ones that made me go ahhh… Also those links were very useful!!

Trekster
    Mike_D
    Free Member

Get three tubes of cheap toothpaste and three paper plates. Ask for three volunteers. Tell them you need them to take part in a race, and a the count of three they need to get all the toothpaste out of the tube and on to the plate as quickly as possible. Count them in, watch them go.

One of them will think they’ve won. Then explain that that’s only the first part — the winner is the first person to get all the toothpaste back into the tube. Hilarity ensues.

Then explain that stuff posted on the internet is just like toothpaste — once it’s out, it’s out for good. If you want to make the point another way, get one child to Snapchat another one, get that one to screen grab the message and MMS it to a third. Presto — the “vanishing” Snapchat snap is preserved for ever. And take it from there.

Tried and tested 🙂

boxelder

My 10 yr old did this today. He was amazed that websites tracked your surfing prefs and targeted ads – he said he now he knows why there’s so many bike related ads on our PC.

takisawa2

I blame Stampy Longnose.
    Whoever he is.

Slackalice…you are deleting the registry entries in safe mode aren’t you ?
    And re-setting the browser…?
    Sometimes a fresh install is the only way.
    And an admin account. 😕

prettygreenparrot

It’s a different world. I remember cranking up my C64 back in the day. Then later JANET and VAXs. etc etc

The ‘kids’ (10-13 yo) seem to relish social media. instagram, snapchat, Facebook no but they’re interested. As others have pointed out, it’s not all social media to & fro. YouTube seems to have almost replaced broadcast TV with endless minecraft, CoD, Assassin’s creed, & terraria commentaries (remind me of the staring competition commentaries in ‘Big Train’ at times). Friv, miniclip, happy wheels seem popular gaming sites. Minecraft, stair dismount, STEAM, Little Big Planet (1, 2, 3, Karting), Terraria… Any multiplayer games require some guidance on how to deal with the various kinds of folks out there. Just like real life.

I really like the toothpaste analogy Mike_D.

I’ve tried to address a few things as I drone on like Charlie Brown’s teacher to any child willing to stand in the same space:
    online safety
    online security
    computer security

online safety CEOP’s site. I emphasize: no selfies, no real names, no personal information, no location data inside the ‘geofence’, no identifiable landmarks inside the ‘geofence’, strangers online are to be treated like strangers in real life: expect the best, prepare for the worst.

online security: if it looks too good to be true it is, if it flashes don’t click it, don’t download it, don’t accept the scan or the update, use the keychain or GRC to check and generate passwords after you have made a secure note of them, US tips, tech radar’s old tips

computer security: admin account and user accounts, onsite backup, offsite backup, remote backup, all backups with rollback, passwords and timeouts for logins. iPads, iPods, iPhones to use only authorised software and updates with established accounts. Any jailbreaking to be done with fresh accounts and IDs. Always copy a minecraft install before meddling with the classes and mods ( a painful experience led to this rule).

It all sounds very ‘don’t’. That’s just the way I phrase it here. I encourage experimentation within limits. Already I’ve experienced ‘my iPhone keeps going to Bing’ – a friend had ‘kindly’ installed a non-jailbreak hack that redirected google searches to a sponsored link. And ‘YouTube won’t work’ – almost a blessing, but again a well-meaning friend had introduced a hack. The ‘best’ one has been ‘I didn’t get up on time as my alarm did not go off’. Why? Seems some hack apps require particular time/date settings to enable installation/activation. Failure to reset the time to ‘auto’ results in tardiness.

The playing and ‘breaking’ the machines is part of learning, annoying though it is. What I’m eager for/fearing is when they realise that you can do far more if you make your own code and adapt other people’s. That’s when the fun starts.

One thing I wish I could do is get rid of Adobe Flash. That is the bane of my life as ‘admin’ on our machines.

slackalice
    Free Member

@takisawa, safe mode? Err, nope 😳
    Have reset browser. It seems that Trovit has many friends and aliases and trying to manually find them all was extremely tedious.

I’ll be taking it to someone whose knowledge is greater than mine for a fresh install and the boy shall fund that and his anti-virus subs from here on.

TBH, I’m not a techy and im finding the whole thing in terms of being safe online a pain in the butt as I don’t even understand how or what I can do. Thanks for the links and info above, looks like I’ve got some reading to do…

i_like_food

Some great help here. Love the toothpaste lesson plan, and the Snapchat screen grab example. I’ll be using them. Cheers.

chomp
    Free Member

Trovi is a pain in the arse – this link has some good info on how to remove it and all the associated junk it brings with it.

How to Remove Trovi.com Hijacker (Removal Help)

although I’d be tempted to just wipe it and start again and use that as a learning point for the kid as to what happens. As it wont be him sitting there going through the removal steps (that take a while) he wont learn anything from the hassle you are going through.

slackalice
    Free Member

Cheers chomp. Agreed. It’s been decided the most effective learning will be to sit down with him to watch the ceop vids on YouTube and he can use his saved money for the new 3DS he wanted to pay for having the laptop restored.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘pre-teen teachers/parents’ is closed to new replies.