Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Pre emptive Friday distraction thread – Campervan
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Ok so going to build a camper van and as this is without question a “centre of excellence” on this subject please feel free to tear apart the following –

Base vehicle – decided on a new shape Transit Custom (stands back and waits for the T5 backlash) LWB/Standard roof – as this will be a day to day vehicle. Primary reason is its a bit bigger than a T5 and it is possible to sleep “across the vehicle” if you are 5 10 or less.Its got a Mondeo engine (now i have some support) thats not stressed in its 125 bhp form and it is good on fuel.

I also prefer a bulkhead in place – just makes driving a lot more pleasant and don’t like the traditional furniture/kitchen/down the side rock and roll bed set ups so opting for a U shaped sitting/sleeping area in the back and the kitchen up against the bulkhead, also going to have a tailgate shower.

Going for a stealthish van with lots of solar (crystalline) on the roof and big leisure battery capacity.

Designed to do the best part of a week without plugging in to anything.

Any ideas to add to functionality or constructive criticism or experience etc.

jobro
    Free Member

I have nothing to contribute to this other than wish you luck as I am contemplating exactly the same.
    Shall watch developments with interest. Are you doing the build yourself?

Stoner
    Free Member

If your budget will stretch consider an eberspacher diesel heater if used out of summer.

Look into a roof mounted rail that can take a pipe-edged tarp for easy outdoor space. Research reimo multi rail.

Will ponder on other things

karlp

If buying a new van spec it well e.g. ensure air con & cruise control etc. As you are likely to keep a long time. Also think about colour, some fade in the sun, so go matallic.
    Just a couple of mistakes I made.
    Engine power go more not less. In vans this usually = better fuel consumption.
    Its a heart & head purchase so splash the cash & enjoy.
    Dept on age & life stage vans offer lots of benefits & I dont mean just a passion wagon!

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Sounds a great plan………..looks like you have already worked out what you want it to be like.
    We did our own conversion of a new Renault Trafic just over three and a half years ago……..and this month have just clocked up 100 nights spent in it since build. We originally thought we would use it mainly for “shoulder season ” Spring and Autumn, but found out that its an all seasons use

ElShalimo

OP – are you sure that you can get a pop up roof for a LWB Transit? They weren’t available last year when we thought about doing the same thing.

Look at Autocampers for design inspiration

chrismac

This sounds interesting. I hope we get lots of pictures of the build and final outcome.

Tea & biscuits at the ready

NZCol

I had a good look at a LWB Transit custom recently for the same reasons. I’d query the across the way sleeping arrangement, that was why i looked at it but once i had actually fitted it out and made it warmer than a panel van it would have been a marginal proposition.
    I’d also look carefully at whether a bulkhead will give you sufficient internal space, depends really. One of the things I absolutely love about the Cali i have are the swivel seats which give it heaps more room to live in – but we have a toddler so it depends what your circumstances are. From memory (and measurement) the TC LWD was only 45cm or so longer than the Cali, chopping out the front bit made it feel really small.
    I was swithering about something larger to get a rear garage in but actually once i worked it out we tended to not be in palces where we were mega worried about stuff on the outside of the van etc. Depends how stealth you want to go. Nice vehicles though, nice to drive and well finished. Would agree on going large on base spec – rear camera, parking sensors, cruise etc all mandatory, nice colour as well and if you can get a night heater in then do it.
    Keep us posted on your plans. Also look at the Wellhouse Terrier I think, its based on a TC vehicle.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have just bought a Nissan NV 400 to convert and joined the “self build motor caravan club” where there is a wealth of info available. The membership is £15 pa for access to the forums, but it already has paid dividends.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Going to self build most of it, I was debating a heater? I am going to put a geyser water heater in the back for a shower but the likleyhood of it getting see in cold weather is slim. Not saying money is no object be it will be well specced – all suggestions and directions will be great fully received

NZCol

Doesn’t even need to be that cold to get cold in a van even with lining and stuff, i use my eberspacher all year round and thats in a factory van with double glazing !

ElShalimo

Also look at Danbury vans & Devon Firefly for ideas

llama

Remove the bulkhead. With a swivel it opens up the space much more. Driving is easier – getting out of angled junctions is interesting when you can’t see over your left shoulder – and once you insulate not any noisier.

PJ266
    Free Member

I am about to embark on my own van journey, hopefully with a lwb Vivaro/trafic, I am looking forward to it!

llama

Another thing. If you go U shaped then see if you can do it so the end part of the U is removable. Then you have the entire centre asle to store long things (such as a bike).

cakefacesmallblock

I’m on my second van now and had a night heater put in the day I got it. Took me 3 years to get round to fitting one in my first van.
    So, we are all made of pretty stern stuff round here, but believe me. Not having to cart 4 season bedding about, or sleep with a beanie hat on is ace. Sitting in the van whilst it’s frosty outside, eating breakfast whilst wearing a tee shirt is good too.
    Nice warm, dry bike shoes are a bonus in a morning, following a wet day out before.
    You might find leaving the bulkhead in works for you, but take it out and fit a revolving passenger, or both, front seats and the difference in available space will seem huge.
    Just my twopence worth, from experience.

spooky_b329

A LWB Transit/Standard roof with the bulkhead left in…I think you are being a bit optimistic especially with the shower!

Opening up the cab really makes a difference with all the light, my old Van 😉 had curtains across the cab, the new one I’m hoping to have a roman blind in some sort of gray fabric and blackout liner that comes down so that it looks like a bulkhead from the cab, for security reasons and also so the cab heater/air con is effective.

I would suggest for a van thats not got hookup, get an LPG tank (if it can fit) or a refillable gaslow so you can top up at petrol stations, a gas fridge, and gas Propex heater. (much quieter than a diesel powered Eberspacher…I’ve an Eber on the work vehicle (without a silencer) and it makes an impressive roaring noise and the ignition ticks for ages which would make it really annoying if you ever try to use it on a campsite)

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Similar experience here.
    Don’t convert an older van… a mate has done this as a self build and wishes the base van was in better nick now (a few years older now after conversion).
    I had a solar panel on the top of the roof – manages a good few days with no hook up (electric only fridge). Not sure how long I could get away with but long weekends are fine.
    Heater is great – nice to come back from a night ride to the van all tasty and warm as the timer kicks it in 15 minutes before return 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

Dont keep the bulkhead. Having to walk around from the front cabin to the rear seems ok on paper, in practice you’ll hate it from the off. And you’ll get more usable space. Captains seat: bases to convert existing seats are pretty cheap.

Also, consider this up front- will you be re-registering it with the DVLA as a motor-caravan? If so, you’ll need to meet all the criteria.

I thought about sideways sleepers but ruled it out for day to day practicality- my van is transport for 4 as well as a leisure bus, and a decent rock n roll bed made a lot of sense, so it was a high-quality side conversion for me. I’ve not regretted it, but this may not apply to you.

Propex are good, but made me worry about having enough gas- the Eber’s aren’t that noisy, I found (I fitted one) and you only have to worry about diesel in the main tank and battery power. Which suited me.

Matt_SS_xc

Another vote for the eber, you won’t regret it.
    Removing the bulk head if nothing else will let more light in.
    We fitting a roof light to ours fairly recently, been a great addition for extra light and ventilation.

I’ll be interested to see the widthways sleeping, we had a peugeot boxer which we sleep width ways in, but it’s the widest van on the market, bed is around 5″10, my van looks a lot wider then a custom…..

spooky_b329

I’ve not seen a ‘naked’ Transit Custom, but I know the normal transit has a big structural beam that runs down each side of the van above the windows, if you end up with a high top this totally scuppers any attempt to have a sideways bed with garage underneath, as I had some renewed interest when I realised you can get a half capable all wheel drive version.

With the Iveco you can get a 5’10” bed between the ply lining, 6′ into the recess between the pillars as I’ve done on mine. Still space for insulation as well.

Andy

Just in the process of replacing mine. Went to the show in Birmingham in Feb and Hillside Leisure were the best i saw in my opinion for inspiration.

Also from experience i noticed that most of the manufacturers tend to overfill their vans with “extra” storage space and gadgets. More to go wrong and takes up valuable space i think. Id also consider whether keeping the bulkhead will limit space way to much. Reversing front seats are the most comfortable in the van.

Good luck. My next will be my 4th in 25 years and its great fun 😀

llama

Even if you are not going with a VW, check out the vwt4forum. There are more self build threads on there than you can shake a stick at, and quite a few are not the usual ‘down the side’. You also want to search for Mike_D’s build on here, and sazter’s for that matter, even though they are bigger.

I’m about 2/3 of the way into mine. My other tips would be:

Make sure your insurer will allow bodywork modifications.

Think about budgeting for getting the windows, and maybe the lining, done by a pro to give you a jump start.

Get ply pre-cut to the approximate size/shape from your supplier. Big sheets of ply are a pain to manage with limited space and amateur equipment.

If you are sticking with a standard roof watch out for headroom on your seating (mines on the high side….)

Keep it simple. Do you really need all those shelves? Are all those switches really useful?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Remove the bulkhead. With a swivel it opens up the space much more. Driving is easier – getting out of angled junctions is interesting when you can’t see over your left shoulder – and once you insulate not any noisier.

This.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My motorhome is Transit based (2.4TD) and is quite thirsty.

IHN

I thought I’d posted this yesterday, but it doesn’t seem to have got through, hey-ho…

I know you’re not converting a T5 but check out the layout of the Amdro Angel conversion. We lived in one for six months on a Europe trip and for many weeks/weekends since and for my money it’s better than the ‘standard’ layout because:
    – it has a proper boot, so bikes (wheels off, but in the boot too), deckchairs, foldy table, BBQs etc etc all have somewhere to go that’s in the van, so secure, but not in the living area
    – the bench seats are much more comfortable for lounging on than a standard car seat

And, as others have said, lose the bulkhead. Driving a campervan is much more akin to driving a people carrier than a horrible echoey ‘standard’ van.

northernmatt

Mike_D Thread

Makes me jealous everytime I look at it. Would love to build a camper but I have nowhere to keep one.

BoardinBob

I also prefer a bulkhead in place – just makes driving a lot more pleasant

Assuming the van is properly lined and insulated, having the bulkhead removed doesn’t make it any noisier or unpleasant. Plus the east of access to the rear is very handy.

spooky_b329

My van is spray foam insulated, lined and carpeted. Its noisier with no bulkhead, but a decent heavyweight curtain makes a big difference in reducing noise, and making it easier to keep the cab warm. Ours has wadding sewn into it so it is insulating as well.

Its a camper…there are always going to be squeaks, bangs and rattles from the back when driving.

New van currently has a carpeted bulkhead, its lovely and quiet but its still coming out!

Edukator
    Free Member

thats in a factory van with double glazing !

And absolutely no insulation behind the finish panels whereas Font Vendome (for example) use a mix of multi-layer, foam and polyester. The Font Vendome roof canvas is a quilt but the T6 Cali a single skin. The T6 Cali was the worst insulated of the vans we’ve visited in night mode and in no way “winterised”. The amateur efforts on here by (for example) Mike_D put VW’s efforts to shame. The conversation with the VW dealer was comical. He had a display panel of what one of his competitors used for insulation, the cheap seven-layer material used by Iroise, saying it was crap – crap maybe, but better than nothing.

I did my last van with multi-layer (twenty something layers) and polyester. It wasn’t very warm in winter because you still have lots of single-glazed glass in the fornt, but kept it a lot cooler in Summer in Spain. The spray foams are a health risk IMO.

PJ266
    Free Member

Has anyone got any handy tips for insulating and lining a hightop roof?

Seems to be a lack of information online for this.

beanie
    Free Member

Putting a heater in is the first thing I would do. If you you plan your electrics well, ie led lights compresser fridge and if you get good batterys and a good solar panel you will never need hock up. I am on my 4th van now and if is fully off grid.
    The biggest thing I have found if you are going to spent time in it is a high top or pop top is a must, it is so nice to stand up in the camper. This is the reason I went from a t5 to a crafter.
    Link to my latest van

spooky_b329

How is spray foam a health risk?

It’s closed cell, inert, and non flammable. Doesn’t produce any fumes (unless the van is so hot it’s about to burst into flames)

And it’s not canned foam like the builders use.

Edukator
    Free Member
    db

Always liked this van. Might be good for some ideas;
    http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17258

spooky_b329

That article seems a bit sensationalist, it says cured foam is meant to be inert but then tells you all about the risks associated with the raw ingredients, once cured the statements include the words may/potentially/concern, and the guy studying offgassing since 2010 was unavailable for comment, and there are no figures/data for anything that may be gassed off.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Has anyone got any handy tips for insulating and lining a hightop roof?

Seems to be a lack of information online for this.

Another mention for the T4/T5 forum. A few high top conversions on there now.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Pre emptive Friday distraction thread – Campervan’ is closed to new replies.