Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pre and post ride Stretching?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

What stretches do you do before and after a ride?

jam-bo

none. never have and never suffer for it.

whereas if I run without stretching for at least 10 mins after, i’m crippled for days.

rocketman
    Free Member

Go for a walk it works every time. It’s the sitting down that kills you

faustus

Not before just warm up for first 15mins, yes after ride – particularly glute stretches.

chillidave
    Free Member

I commute but usually stretch post ride only. I try to do at least some basic stretches for hamstrings, glutes and quads, when I have a little time though this has been very helpful and I’ve really noticed a difference in recovery and an improvement in long standing niggling aches.

nickc

Nothing at all. I don’t know how to do them at all properly so I’d probably end up hurting myself, I tend to start slow on the bike anyway.

vongassit
    Free Member

I always stretch before, dont know what they are called. Standing or lying knee up to chest. Standing or lying on side 1 heel tucked into butt cheek, then 1 heel on breakfast bar & touch toes & hold ball of foot if I can, then stand on a breeze block with heels on ground & pivot up on ball of foot & hold , Then drop.

Sounds like a faff but it’s my routine.

Then on nites of I do this for around an hour
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30rjVT-TLo[/video]

butcher

Nothing before. I don’t think you really need to for cycling. But definitely find it helpful afterwards. Had some issues with glutes so have found it essential to stretch them.

dovebiker

Stretching if you’re not warmed-up can actually reduce performance as it damages cold muscle fibres. I leave stretching for recovery days / gym sessions

jekkyl

after rides I like to stretch into the fridge followed by several stretches using just my elbow. This helps a lot with my relaxation.

wheely
    Free Member

Quad and calf stretches post a hard ride if I remember.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks all, is post ride stretching better immediately after cycling or later in the day?

jobro
    Free Member

Thanks all, is post ride stretching better immediately after cycling or later in the day?

Any post exercise stretching, regardless of the sport, is best undertaken as soon after the end of exercise as possible. It’s best while the muscles are warm and pliable.
    For much the same reason pre exercise stretching is likely to cause more injuries than it prevents. Think of a piece of plastacine(sp?). Pull it when its cold and it tears. Warm it up and pull it and it stretches and stretches.
    Generally, I prefer to spin easily for about 5 minutes at the end of a ride and then stretch calves (two muscles here – gastrocnemius and soleus so two different stretches) and quads.

docgeoffyjones

Pigeon pose
    Groin
    Quads
    Hip Flexors
    Hamstrings
    Calf
    Stick windmill
    Toe touch.

If i don’t stretch before a ride it is a lot harder going than if i do.

jonba
    Free Member

Before none. I would normally aim to have some sort of warmup though so not going flatout from the start.

Afterwards, I tend to do my back, glutes and hamstrings. Pilates stuff mainly*. I find rolling with a stick or on a foam roller much more effective at promoting recovery. The stretches I’m doing are because I know I lack flexibility in these areas and they get tight while riding.

*pilates style movements may be of more help than stretching. Not the core strength stuff but the other parts which look at specific movements of joints throughout their range to loosen them up and improve blood/fluid movement.

ferrals
    Free Member

Any post exercise stretching, regardless of the sport, is best undertaken as soon after the end of exercise as possible

I think I read some research that said immediately after intense excercise is bad as well as you are more likely to over stretch.

I tend to have seperate stetching sessions where i mildly warm up before stretching. warm up and down on the bike and rarely stretch before or after

Trimix
    Free Member

I asked a professional this question.

In short she told me not to bother.
    (her longer answer was very technical and rational)

Don’t stretch cold muscles and as none of us are Olympic athletes don’t bother stretching afterwards.

Just don’t ride off like a missile right away.

docgeoffyjones

I asked a professional this question.

There are lots of professionals who would dsagree

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pre and post ride Stretching?’ is closed to new replies.