Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pre 2007 Hope headsets – can you change the bearings?
  • hugorune

I picked up a slightly knackered old style (pre 2007) hope headset on ebay and the lower cup bearings are on there way out. You can buy replacement cartridge bearings for them but how do you get the old ones out? One of the mechs at my LBS said you can't change them and that I should just throw it away. They just so happen to sell the new ones though…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Email Hope – they pretty good and quick: I bet you can – Hope I am sure would know a suitable replacement bearing I am sure!

HopeGB

RicB

You can't change them. The official line from Hope (I asked them last year) is that pre-07 bearings are bonded into the cup, and Hope will offer to sell you a new headset for ~35quid if you send the old one back to them.

However, if you clamp the cup in a vice and apply a screwdriver and big hammer, you'll find they pop out just fine 🙂

I have a feeling Hope may have changed the bearing size so double check before you buy…

hugorune

Cheers RicB – I emailed Hope as per foxyriders advice and hopefully might get the discount on a new one. CRC have Hope headset bearings listed with a choice of old or new. I ordered an old one in the 'hope' i'd be able to change it.

Harmitans
    Free Member

You can change them. I removed a bearing last night and there's no evidence of any bonding. I tapped the bearing out with a punch and hammer and pressed the new bearing in with the correct sized drift that can be bought from hope.

I found it easier to remove the cup from the frame first.

Done it several times this way without any problems.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pre 2007 Hope headsets – can you change the bearings?’ is closed to new replies.