Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • practicing drop offs will it bugger my 140 lefty ?
  • dale
    Free Member

have been trying to erode some fears on drop offs on a bit of waste ground. 3ft to flat concrete landing with a 13 stone pilot(scary for me but getting there)the bike is a prophet so no worries about this, but I have a niggling doubt about the fork as an hours variable practice see's the fork needing reseting.Good riders (soft landings)would probably get away with it…. but I am not (other fork purchase not an option)

vikingboy
    Free Member

Ride it til it breaks…….its only a fork

or

Practice on smaller drops (curbs will do) until your technique is down right and them migrate to larger drops.

Have fun which ever way you go!

Daffy

You're not supposed to to drop offs onto flat concrete with ANY fork IIRC.

They're designed to be landed onto sloping terrain. I've seen people shear the dropouts by landing onto concrete.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ha ha! 😆 Drop-offs onto flat are fine, especially at around the three foot mark. Honestly! Sometimes, this forum….

shermer75
    Free Member

Having said that though those Leftys, they are a bit weird, aren't they? 😉

el_boufador

You're not supposed to to drop offs onto flat concrete with ANY fork IIRC.

They're designed to be landed onto sloping terrain. I've seen people shear the dropouts by landing onto concrete.

Rubbish – 3ft to flat should be absolutely no problem on any decent MTB fork (even lightweight rigid) ridden properly & smoothly.

As above though – start small and work up.

dale
    Free Member

Daffy is voicing my worry .Sherman totally wierd but suprisingly effective and easy to maintain .Have been building up but the transition between 2 foot and 3 foot is getting my heart pumping and no amount of telling my body to RELAX helps, thought practice would wear out the fear over time

angryratio
    Free Member

The lefty was used by the nutter cedric bloke for 4x racing for a while was'nt it?

Daffy

Are you two incapable of reading? I didn't say that 3ft dropoff onto flat cannot be accomplished, I said that dropoffs onto flat concrete were a no no…and I'm just repeating what I read.

awh
    Free Member

Try holding a wheel on just one side of the hub and spinning it. It's quite stable. Two dropouts are a luxury! Have a look at the nose-wheel of an F-16 fighter, it's got a lefty!

Northwind

"The lefty was used by the nutter cedric bloke for 4x racing for a while was'nt it?"

Think it was, but how often was it serviced? 🙂

I'd say personally, if you feel you can't trust it for this sort of thing, get rid of it. But if it isn't up to the task then it's not fit for purpose and they shouldn't be selling it, simple as that. It's not a skinny XC fork.

el_boufador

OK then Daffy, if it makes you happy:

Rubbish – 3ft to flat CONCRETE should be absolutely no problem on any decent MTB fork (even lightweight rigid) ridden properly & smoothly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘practicing drop offs will it bugger my 140 lefty ?’ is closed to new replies.