Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Power tools relocating to US
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Simply. Can I take my 110v power tools (and be able to use them) when I relocate to the US From UK?

ffej
    Free Member

Our “building site” standard is 110v for which step down transformers are used, so it may be possible to buy one of those (and change the plugs on your tools) to allow them to be used. The frequency is also different through.. think the US is 60Hz and we’re 50. Not sure if that would have any significant effect on power tools – maybe cause them to run slightly slower dependant on motor type.

Jeff

maccruiskeen

They’ll work – theres a difference in hertz between us and uk – 60hz there, 50 hz there which can effect the speeds of some motors (bit faster or slower depending on where they were designed for) and in some instances motors can get physically hotter in use.

Everything should work well enough though – the possible exception would be anything that has electronic speed control and references the wave form to operate it – My Mafell saw doesn’t like the ac current from some generators for instance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Check the current rating… I have a feeling that those site transformers supply more than 13A at 110V don’t they? The standard US plug is 15A I think.

Also, re-wirable plugs may be hard to find, as they aren’t the norm. Never had to look so I might be talking bobbins as always.

ffej
    Free Member

They’ll supply whatever current the tool draws up to the output limit of the transformer (which will overheat and cut out).
    Plugs (the yellow 16A ones) are a few quid from screwfix or any decent electrical wholesalers.

Jeff

molgrips
    Free Member

They’ll supply whatever current the tool draws up to the output limit of the transformer (which will overheat and cut out).

Yeah that’s my point.. if you have a tool that will draw 20A and you plug it into a 15A socket with 15A cable you’ll have problems.

A quick google suggests there’s a variety of consumer level plugs and sockets available in the US with different ratings. Something of which to be aware.

maccruiskeen

Plugs (the yellow 16A ones) are a few quid from screwfix or any decent electrical wholesalers.

He’s going in the other direction Jeff 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

If its hand power tool most run off of universal motors so will be fine. If it is larger workshop tools 240v can be obtained as there are two 120v legs going into a house which are in essence 180 deg out of phase. the frequency will effect the speed of the motors. Becearfull running any iorn cored transformers out there though as the higher frequency will mean you will have to discuss down rate the current capacity.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pretty sure our tools are different, apart from the phase difference our 110V is essentially a dual phase 50V supply which is completely different to single phase 110V..

You also get the problem of less voltage supplied per cycle.

andyl
    Free Member

Easier to just sell the lot and go tool shopping when you get over there? You can probably buy decent stuff much cheaper over there.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll ask my dad, he’ll know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Power tools relocating to US’ is closed to new replies.