Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Power tool advice
  • boxelder

I need a hammer action chisel for chasing out channels for electrics into plaster/brick. Looks like a power drill, but doesn’t spin, just hammers with a chisel bit. Not a demolition hammer jobbie, just a cheap hammer chisel.
    What are they called – google skill failure.

EDIT – Rotary hammer
    As you were, Ta

russ295
    Free Member

Sds with rotostop

maccruiskeen

Worth reading the small print as not all SDS drills have Rotary Stop and manufacturers make very similar looking machines with and without the feature. You’ll be able to chase out all your channels in an afternoon so consider renting a good one rather than buying a cheap one

alanl
    Free Member

A chisel is a poor tool for cutting out channels.
    You really need a chasing tool – basically 2 grinding discs an inch apart, run them down the wall, then just get a hammer and chisel to knock out the centre.
    A SDS with chisel will make a mess of the walls, and is likely to bring large chunks of plaster off.

T1000
    Free Member

Assuming you’ve a hire shop near, just hire one

+ get a box sinker and a chasing chisels

Don’t use the regular demo chisels that come with cheap sds drills they will just make a mess

IMHO Hire the right kit for the job rather than buy cheap

duncancallum

I did mine all by grinder then with a chisel. Sunk all the boxes with a drill too. Unless you have hundreds to do by the time you went the shop and bought/hired one you’d be nearly finished.

TooTall
    Free Member

We hired a chasing cutter. 2 parallel cutting discs that you ran up / along a brick/block/plaster wall. It cuts 2 nice parallel lines and you can just knock out what’s in between. Well worth hiring if you are doing more than a room of chasing. Just like what that alan chap said.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Having used an SDS with rotostop for doing a wee bit of chasing – if I had a fair bit to do, I’d hire one of those special cutters. An SDS is fine for a bit of knocking out, but when using it for trying to chase a neat tidy straight line, you can end up butchering it a bit. It would be ideal for quick removal of material from the channel after using the proper cutter mind. 🙂

windydave13
    Free Member

As everyone has suggested, go rent one of these from somewhere like HSS or Speedy. You’ll have it done in no time
    https://www.hilti.co.uk/r1740

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Power tool advice’ is closed to new replies.