Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Power steering fluid for a Honda
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I need to top up the power steering fluid on my 55 plate honda accord. Bought some power steering fluid in halfords which says 'suitable for most systems'. Read the manual when I got home (wasn't driving the honda when I was out) and it says 'use only honda fluid non honda fluid will, not may, damage the system.'

Any ideas what I need to buy?

Flaperon

If the colour of the fluids match it seems unlikely there would be a problem.

timrogers

Honda's use there own type of PAS fluid which is normally clear when it is new, but may turn darker after a few years use. Using standard ATF (automatic transmission fluid) which is used by many manufacturers can damage the seals in the Honda system so would advise not using it. Go to your local Honda dealer and get the proper stuff. Might be worth checking to see if you have a leak somewhere too, as most power steering systems don't 'use' much oil if at all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

cheers timrogers. I'll take the halfords stuff back and go to the honda dealers. Fluid is sitting around the 'low' mark, don't think there is a leak as there are no marks on the driveway. When I top it up I'll keep an eye on it.

Drac

Just because it says Honda don't mean Honda's own a third party one suitable for Honda. My VW says the same for oil, use only VW/Audi diesel oil but it just means the oil made for VW/Audi diesel engines.

Gary_M
    Free Member

but apart from weights oil is oil – there are different standards of power steering fluid and on the halfords bottle it doesn't say what standard it is.

Drac

Fully Synthetic oil.

You will get a third party one with suitable for Honda printed on it but if you willing to be ripped off at a dealers go ahead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Power steering fluid for a Honda’ is closed to new replies.