Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Power on turbo vs power on road
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Probably been done before but…

Why on earth does 200 watts on a turbo feel like 250 on the road. I’m using the same bike, and a stages power meter so they should surely be consistent.

fifeandy
    Free Member

No microbreaks on the turbo.
    And nothing (scenery, potholes, corners, traffic) to take your mind off the pain.

thomthumb
    Free Member

what type of turbo?
    mine is magnetic and feel much more realistic on easy resistance+ big gear than high resistance low gear.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Mrblobby (who I’m sure will be along soon) can link to an article explaining all. Heat / cooling makes a big difference to.

Kryton57

Wheel/ tyre resistance is general greater, you have no momentum either.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Are you matching cadence? Even though watts are watts and power never lies and all that, I find that grinding out the watts at low cadence is harder, or the perceived effort seems more, than the same power output at a higher cadence.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrblobby (who I’m sure will be along soon) can link to an article explaining all.

Beaten to it by Kryton 🙂

Why on earth does 200 watts on a turbo feel like 250 on the road.

Because it’s different, loads of reasons why. And for some people it’s that way around, other people would say the exact opposite. I’d also add that 250 watts on the road can feel very different under different conditions. E.g. you might find 250 watts up a slope feels easier than 250 watts on the flat, or tailwind feels easier than headwind, or vice versa.

Some discussion on it on over on the PM thread.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Power on turbo vs power on road’ is closed to new replies.