Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Power of attorney query
  • towzer

Hi

(I’m in England, dad is in Scotland – so Scottish poa)

I have poa – can I pass it on to anybody else – just in case ?

*Edit – already active/in use and registered with the Scottish PG

dpfr

Has it actually been regsitered yet (ie activated)?

I have POA for a relative and as I understand it, if it hasn’t been registered with the Office of the Public Guardian, then you can’t change it but your relative could.

Much harder I suspect if it has actually been registered with the OPG and you are actually acting as attorney

Based on no legal knowledge but several years of experience.

csb

Of course you can’t transfer it! How dodgy would that be. It’s a legal assignation of powers to a specific individual.

towzer

ok – so if I die/go loopy before dad dies what happens to dad ? who will manage his affairs ?

csb

Your dad can appoint as many attorneys as he wishes but each has to be specified and registered with the office of the public guardian or whatever the Scottish equivalent is. It’s a rightly rigorous process.

towzer

my dad is no longer able to appoint POA, I’m an only child with no other family.

csb

Are you saying he has no ability to manage his affairs now? If his attorneys are all dead before him, tHe state will look after him 😐

Or guardians can be appointed without his permission but I believe but it’s a lengthy process.

csb

Sorry by the way, been there and it’s grim isn’t it.

towzer

yep, fairly obviously I hope it doesn’t happen but it is possibility, so I want to know what my options are.

towzer

it is grim and it’s an area of education that is sadly lacking in our various systems.

Cougar

I believe but it’s a lengthy process.

We discovered this when my dad went potty. Giving PoA is relatively simple. Taking PoA is an arseache and exponentially more expensive.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Power of attorney query’ is closed to new replies.