Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Power Meters
  • damo2576
    Free Member

So I been riding road a lot, using my Garmin, getting more and more into it, more and more into Strava, more and more into the power numbers in there.

Should I get a power meter? Will it really help me get fitter? I’m into data and analysis so sure I’d pick that side up. I’m by no means super fit or fast but fast enough and get about 4 hours a week in and keen to use my time on the bike to get as fit as I can, my lifestyle contraints considered.

I can afford one if I want.

So, good idea for a recreational cyclist wanting to make the most of his time?

Or unnecessary overkill?

crikey
    Free Member

4 hours a week? I suspect you might be disappointed…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t use one but I’d have thought it wouldn’t be worth it on 4 hours from a fitness point of view.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I love mine and its taken my fitness to a whole new level, (and it wasn’t too shabby before), however I’m using it for specific training sessions which 90 odd % of this forum would deem removes all fun from actually riding.

If you want to look at numbers they’re cool, however simply getting one won’t make you any fitter.

damo2576
    Free Member

I could get up to 6ish a la Time Crunched…

scratch
    Free Member

Was going to mention time crunched, I’d go for that for starters.
    It’s a fair bit cheaper….

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

You can get super fit cycling 6 hours a week, and certainly a power meter would help hugely, however without a defined goal would you like the cycling that it involved?

LS
    Free Member

Agree with SC above. To use a PM effectively on 6hrs or so per week would be doable but it would also be painful. It all depends what your goals are, if you have any. If you just want to get fitter, save the money and just ride as much and as hard as you can.

damo2576
    Free Member

Goals – well really just to be as fit as I can, I’m quite competitive, but against myself, want to beat my times, want to ride further etc etc. I’d love to race but frankly feel its too dangerous at Cat4 – little less reckless than I was!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’d love to race but frankly feel its too dangerous at Cat4 –

it’s only 4th cat crit races that are slightly dodgy. Enter some 3/4 or even 2/3/4 road races which are much much safer

damo2576
    Free Member

it’s only 4th cat crit races that are slightly dodgy. Enter some 3/4 or even 2/3/4 road races which are much much safer

I’d be blown off the back at a cat 4 – dread to think what would happen at a 2/3/4!

matthewmountain
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a power meter that won’t break the bank?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

TSC+1

If you’re thinking of time crunched cyclist then I’d look at turbos with power output, cheaper, and that’s where you’ll spend all your time!

If you want it outside then from cheapest it basically goes:

Polar CS600 chain mounted
    PowerTap
    Power2Max cranks
    Polar/Look pedals
    SRM

The cheap polar unit is crap.

PowerTaps are good as long as you don’t mind having a heavy wheel, racing without data,
    Training on a race wheel or buying 2.

Power2Max look good, questionable reliability, seems inconsistent between units.

Polar pedals force you to use their head unit.

SRM is the gold standard, but big money.

Garmin Vector pedals look excellent, but are still some way away, if they ever appear, and are getting toward SRM money.

I really like my PowerTap but if I was buying now it’d be a Power2Max crank. I keep nearly selling my PowerTap to change!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a power meter that won’t break the bank?

No, you’re looking at 500 pounds upwards for a PowerTap, and north of a grand for the Look Keo pedals, or SRM chainset.

Worth it though, IMO. Renting might be an option though.

pedalhead
    Free Member

if you do get a power meter, I’d recommend also getting the book “Training and Racing with a Power Meter” so you can make the most of it. Numbers are pretty useless if you don’t know what to do with them.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Numbers are pretty useless if you don’t know what to do with them.

Good call.

There a ton of sites and information available on the net. This one is good and well written: http://www.training4cyclists.com/cycling-training-programs/

BIGMAN
    Free Member

What pedalhound said.

SRM user here – amazing piece of kit.

crikey
    Free Member

🙄

He’s only doing 4 hours a week!
    He really, really, really doesn’t need to spend £500 on a Powermeter which will show him that the limiting factor is the time he has available….

FFS.

xcneil
    Free Member

I’ve been using the cycleOpspower tap for the around 2 years one on the mtb & one on the roadie bike, I would highly recommend them so much more effective than hrt rate (I’ve trained via hrt rate for around 3 years prior to pm). Just need to understand them, how they relate to you etc and find out your specific zones then train to them

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d be blown off the back at a cat 4 – dread to think what would happen at a 2/3/4!

Pretty much answers your original question :wink

mr_stru

If you just want to try it out then these people will rent them:

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/index.asp

I’ve not used them so can’t say anything about them but possibly a good way to try it out

flap_jack
    Free Member

The polar unit is not crap, but you do have to understand its limitations. Only get one if you can’t afford better.

There are other benefits, I’m not very interested in the power measurement, but the L/R balance and the ‘PI’, which his the proportion of the stroke you put the power through, are really useful training aids IMO.

crikey
    Free Member

crikey – Member

He’s only doing 4 hours a week!
    He really, really, really doesn’t need to spend £500 on a Powermeter which will show him that the limiting factor is the time he has available….

FFS.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Power Meters’ is closed to new replies.