Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Power links?
  • Jonwilly74
    Free Member

Can I use a 9 speed power link on a 10 speed chain?
    Thanks

jimw
    Free Member

Don’t think so, would be too wide

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yes. Been doing this for 6 months with both Shimano and SRAM 10 speed chains.

But just to be sure, I’ve ordered a load of KMC 10 speed links from ebay for next to nothing.

ceb9
    Free Member

Yes, also been doing this for a while on recommendation of my LBS. 9’s are reusable, 10’s aren’t, apparently.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I know 10 speed ones lock on so I’ll get some 9s

dabble
    Free Member

9’s are reusable, 10’s aren’t, apparently.

wish i’d known this before i ordered my 10spd links 🙁

greeble
    Free Member

10 speeds are reusable

dabble
    Free Member

yay 😀

chrism110
    Free Member

9’s are reusable, 10’s aren’t, apparently.

wish i’d known this before i ordered my 10spd links

😯 wish i’d of known before i’ve reused my 10 speed links at least twice.

thanks greeble i thought so

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

SRAM 10 speed arent reusable, not easily at least. KMC sell ones that are.

bigdaddy

Agreed about the SRAM 10 spd ones – I can’t get mine apart 🙁

dantsw13

Ask look at YBN 10 spd links. Good quality, reusable and cheaper than the others.

bigblackshed

Buy some of these:

LINKY

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

You could, then carry them on the trail with you I suppose. just seems a dumb set up when KMC etc make reusable ones requiring just your hands to undo them?

Perhaps I’m missing something?

andypaul99
    Free Member

Be warned though i fitted a 9 speed powerlink to a KMC X10SL chain, and running on a shimano XT double i get a click everytime the chain completes its cycle on the crank, it kinds of makes sense as when you look at the powerlink connector it is noticeably larger than the chainlinks, it was only a light tap but still noticeable.

greeble
    Free Member

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/38/tps_sp12/topeak-powerlink-pliers.html

Been using this to remove the powerlink on my 10speed Sram chain.
    They ARE reuseable

stu170
    Free Member

You can get the sram 10spd power links off. I can pop em off a treat with my gerber pliers. Took some practise to begin with.. You have to fold a few links on top of each other and a bit of force. Twist. And luck and they open up.

fivespot
    Free Member

SRAM power links can be removed and reused many times. A cheap electrical crimper modified by grinding to a certain profile has done the job dozens of times 😉

mattrgee
    Free Member

Just buy the KMC 10 speed reusable ones. Or buy KMC re branded ones from Decathlon, pack of 2 for £3.00. Job done.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I thought the whole point of powerlinks was they were tool free? Bloody wusses. 🙂

bigblackshed

aphex_2k – Member

I thought the whole point of powerlinks was they were tool free? Bloody wusses.

They are. But I’ve never had a chain snap in a warm, dry, and amply lit workshop with rags and hand cleaner on tap. Always in some muddy forest and the powerlink just refuses to budge. Pliers work each and every time and avoid swearing and temper tantrums.

I also have the curse of the overpacked Camelbak. If I take all of the never used crap out, next ride will be guaranteed I’ll need it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Power links?’ is closed to new replies.